Pushed Forward - Skill or Equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the crotch strap. If your BC is riding up at the surface it will push you face-down in the water. A crotch strap will keep it in place nicely. I have a Zeagle Zena and I think it's similar to the Stiletto.

For those of you that have used more than one back inflate setup, do they vary much in how much they push you forward (or how much you have to compensate)? For instance, would an Aqualung Dimension potentially have less push than the Zeagle Stiletto?

For those of you that have used more than one back inflate setup, do they vary much in how much they push you forward (or how much you have to compensate)? For instance, would an Aqualung Dimension potentially have less push than the Zeagle Stiletto?

I haven't used any back inflate other than my dimension, but it doesn't push me forward as long as I have at least a third of my weight on the tank strap.

While I've only done a few pool dives in the Outlaw, the weight is all on my kidneys with that system. Floating in it was simple. Anticipate the same with salt in the water, just a better view than in the pool!
While working down in weight in the Dimension, all the weight lost came out of the front pockets. The more I dropped, the easier it was to float. When I was happy with trim, only half the weight was in front pockets, the rest in the trim pockets. Next time I use it, I'll probably shift more to the trim pockets and even less in the front. It would take me down to very little ditchable weight, but that isn't a major concern.

...Now I am adjusting everything again-bought an AL Outlaw and a different pony....

ive been eyeing the outlaw. let us know how it does. :)

Hi @woodcarver

I'd be interested in your comments. I gave an Outlaw a good trial with about 160 dives, see Aqualung Outlaw posts #s 57, 63, 65, 80, and 83. If I only dived in warm water with a thin wetsuit and a minimal amount of weight, I may still be diving it despite the weight pockets, butt dump, and attachment points

To stay on topic for the thread, it floated me fine at the surface.

The bloke at my dive shop who is a very experienced diver and instructor on the North sea coast of UK (England Europe) which is always choppy and rough said I should not consider a back inflate when I asked about a Scubapro litehawk mainly because of the tipping forward tendency when well inflated. He said jacket type BCds vary in the proportion of air between the side and back pockets, most jacket bcds if slightly inflated for neutral buoyancy on a diver with correct minimal weighting will not be far off a back inflate performance under water, and much more stable when fully inflated at the surface.

Last edited:
The bloke at my dive shop who is a very experienced diver and instructor on the North sea coast of UK which is always choppy and rough said I should not consider a back inflate when I asked about a Scubapro litehawk mainly because of the tipping forward tendency when well inflated. He said jacket type BCds vary in the proportion of air between the side and back pockets, most jacket bcds if slightly inflated for neutral buoyancy on a diver with correct minimal weighting will not be far off a back inflate performance under water, and much more stable when fully inflated at the surface.

Have you just knowingly thrown yourself to the wolves, or are we about to witness a tragedy!?

@tdallen - I see that you're "somewhere south of Boston" and am wondering if most of your dives will be cold or warm water? IF you are thinking about getting a new BC, you may prefer a jacket style for the additional weights you'll need to carry.

With regard to post #27, Quite probably. He was taking into account my inexperience when he gave the advice. Also he no longer teaches wetsuit diving, drysuit only, the same practice as my local club. He clearly has his opinions and I am not qualified to argue but what he said did seem reasonable to me as a technically minded person.

Hi @woodcarver

I'd be interested in your comments. I gave an Outlaw a good trial with about 160 dives, see Aqualung Outlaw posts #s 57, 63, 65, 80, and 83. If I only dived in warm water with a thin wetsuit and a minimal amount of weight, I may still be diving it despite the weight pockets, butt dump, and attachment points

To stay on topic for the thread, it floated me fine at the surface.

Thanks for the link, just finished reading that thread. You probably did 4 years of my diving at current rate (hope to improve on that). Good info and while I've only been able to use it in the pool so far, very similar experience. Especially as regards putting a pocket back in under water. My solution was to take it off (very easy), put the pocket back in, put the bc back on, again, very easy. Did the same to adjust the tank for trim. I like AL's tank strap. Very simple, even submerged.
I've been using the Sureloc system on the i3 since we started and have learned it's very secure, so I'm not worried about accidentally losing a pocket. Saves me 4 pounds or so in the luggage and a BUNCH of space over the i3.
Replaced the plastic carrabiner with a real one on both shoulders. Will probably add carrabiners in a couple places instead of clipping to the loops as that was not as easy as a d-ring. Have pockets on even my thin wetsuits already, so shouldn't need a belt pocket.
Felt very stable floating on the surface. With all the weight behind me, I never felt pushed forward unless I blew the wing all the way up. The modular system is very handy. Going to go to the lds this weekend to test drive a large backpack with the medium straps and belt. If it fits better, just trading one part-no cost. Think it will be the cat's meow for travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom