pushing the limits part2: world dive record 350m in 2 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bounce dives are how we START exploring. How long ago was it that 100m dives were record-setting bounce-dives? How much later were divers doing 100m dives frequently, successfully, and with some decent bottom times? Same with 150m. Same with 200m. It takes some bounce dive records before you can start exploring down there. Did you want the first 350m dive to have a 30 minute bottom time?

Studying what happens to the diver as he comes up, in a real-world diving scenario, in the water, with real world stresses.......these are scenarios that can't be accurately replicated in a chamber. It's exciting because it's pushing the limits of our understanding. Sure, part of it is a record driving an ego.....but part of THAT is how you get sponsors and support to do a 300m dive. If he has to do 350m to get the money and support, then so be it!

I'd love to see the run list he's printing out for this dive. I'd also love to see the support diver schedule and mixes for everyone involved. I think the logistics of this dive are FASCINATING.
So what have we learnt since late John Bennett first dived beyond 300m?
If he is successful then he sets a new meaningless record.
I am wishing him luck.

....It's the deepest dive on Open Circuit. It's the deepest non-saturation dive. It's drastically different than decompressing over two weeks in a dry chamber with TV and internet.

It is drastically different, it is a "record", diving to a depth already surpassed by divers, using substandard gear, substandard support and substandard mixes. Like I said, deepest dive using one fin and a double hose regulator. Next stop K2 and my baggies......

I don't care one way or the other about the dive as a record, but I'm happy to have someone else play guinea pig in a way that might one day benefit my diving.

The idea that there's only one right way to dive to 350m and that it's already been established by military/commercial divers is horse:censored:. They'd call any number of standard technical diving practices "using substandard gear, substandard support and substandard mixes"...maybe they're right, but diving between 40m and 100m on recreational gear and mixes for substantial periods of time and without surface support is pretty normal stuff for most of us.

350m is presently way at the outside edge of what can be accomplished with the technology to which we as individual, non-commercial divers have access. In ten years, deco calculations, understanding of things like ICD and HPNS, CCR technology, and thermal protection technology may well have advanced far enough that doing 45 minutes on a wreck at 350m is no different from 45 minutes on a wreck at 150m today. If someone wants to push our understanding of what works/doesn't work (and maybe why that's the case) by risking death to chase "a record"...I say awesome.

I'm planning a record dive to 30' on O2......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm planning a record dive to 30' on O2......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's certainly not a record. There was a cave diver that switched to O2 at nearly 100ft, and I'm sure stories of others even deeper than that.

[sarcasm]I'm planning a record dive to 30' on O2...... [/sarcasm]

That's certainly not a record. There was a cave diver that switched to O2 at nearly 100ft, and I'm sure stories of others even deeper than that.

I think the mods need to add a sarcasm button sometimes :wink:

I think the mods need to add a sarcasm button sometimes :wink:

I caught the sarcasm. Mine was tongue-in-cheek as well. The diver I'm referring to took a very cool trip away from the cave (rescued out and choppered to a hospital) before making his full recovery.

However, decompression's point was along jaidirii's lines which is a viewpoint I have serious problems with. The dive tomorrow is going to be a "real" record. It's dives like this that make the 300ft+ dives divers make fairly regularly possible. Someone first had to bounce there AND beyond it before 300ft dives became a plausible dive.

i think it's neat. supremely dangerous, but neat.

3733733865_neat_spiderman_answer_1_xlarge.gif

Subsea 7 or any other commercial diving company would laugh at this. Those guys would ask "Why?" This is a self-created record. "Deepest dive on dive gear not designed to be used at that depth" record. Do it again with one fin and you can grab another record. Do it on air, another record! Go climb Mt Everest in board shorts and a tank top, sure that is a record, too. But to each his own, go have fun, but don't boast it as a "record".

Don't commercial divers use umbillicals rather than SCUBA? If you're going to lump it all together, then those commercial divers are real wusses. The real record should be considered to be 11,521m set in 1960 by Jacques Piccard and Lt. Don Walsh. Seems silly to do so to me...

Personally, I also think this is really cool. I can't wait to read about how things went and maybe see a video or two.

I caught the sarcasm. Mine was tongue-in-cheek as well. The diver I'm referring to took a very cool trip away from the cave (rescued out and choppered to a hospital) before making his full recovery.

However, decompression's point was along jaidirii's lines which is a viewpoint I have serious problems with. The dive tomorrow is going to be a "real" record. It's dives like this that make the 300ft+ dives divers make fairly regularly possible. Someone first had to bounce there AND beyond it before 300ft dives became a plausible dive.

Please don't assume my points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom