Puzzled over NAUI certification "name changes"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Following up what another poster, mentioned, a competitor (PADI) has a 'scuba diver' certification that only certifies for diving under professional supervision to no deeper than 40 feet. I suspect NAUI wouldn't want their cert. to be mistaken for that. And a wide range of cert.'s are for 'scuba divers' (OW, AOW, Rescue, Dive Master, Instructor, Cave, etc&#8230:wink:.

As for Advanced OW vs. OW II, the 1rst has a catchier sounding name, and again, it's more in line with what competitors are doing.

So, I suspect much of the answer as to why these name changes have taken place amounts to 'marketing.'

Richard.

No problem with the name changes. I don't care if they change the names ten million times. Just don't leave entire certifications out in the process.

OP, the information I gave you is exactly the way I saw it done in those days. The "scuba diver" course was an abbreviated OW course. If you did 8 weeks and got a SD card, and then another 8 weeks(of what I'm willing to bet was the same material) to get an OW card, the issue lies with the jerk that robbed you blind vice the agency. Now if the second course was an OW2 course, then I would say that it was a standardization issue circa 1984....not a standardization issue circa 2014.

Somehow it's twisted around and made to be my fault because NAUI cannot perform basic tasks?

Ha. Welcome to Scubaboard. :) There is a lot of good information here, but there's a lot of chaff in with the wheat.

OP, the information I gave you is exactly the way I saw it done in those days. The "scuba diver" course was an abbreviated OW course. If you did 8 weeks and got a SD card, and then another 8 weeks(of what I'm willing to bet was the same material) to get an OW card, the issue lies with the jerk that robbed you blind vice the agency. Now if the second course was an OW2 course, then I would say that it was a standardization issue circa 1984....not a standardization issue circa 2014.

So you believe that the NAUI instructors that I had totally misrepresented the course? They put in all that teaching time for 8 weeks (3 hrs. classroom/3 hr. pool + lake dive). What would be the point of that...pocketing the difference in fees that they would have had to pay NAUI for the certifications? They have been in the industry for years (NY & FL) and are highly sought after.

---------- Post added August 17th, 2014 at 05:06 PM ----------

Thank you for the welcome.

Ha. Welcome to Scubaboard. :) There is a lot of good information here, but there's a lot of chaff in with the wheat.

Yes, I've noticed.

Ok, so are they still in the industry? For gods sake call them and clarify.

I have been trying to reach them. Unfortunately, no one picks up at the only number I have and their message system has not been setup. No other contact information available for them except for the physical address. I will continue to call daily.

For some reason I don't doubt you will. Care to share the name of the facility? Maybe someone here has some current contact info.

Care to share the name of the facility? Maybe someone here has some current contact info.

Middle Keys Scuba Center
11511 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, FL 33050

Owners: Richard Boileau and Suzanne Potts

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom