PVC Housing: The Saga Ends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

V. G. McGillicuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I think my housing is finished!
To start, here is a list of the costs:

6" SCH35 sewer main: Left over from DIY DPV "Turbo Tetra"

6" PVC endcaps (2): Approx. $8 @ Menards

12mm clear plexiglass and 8 o-rings: Approx. $34 @ McMaster.com (still have over half the sheet of 'glass left!)

Turnbuckles (4): $4.36 @ Fleet Farm

Sheet steel for tray and clips: $3.59 @ Fleet Farm (still have over half the sheet left!)

Latches w/ latch hooks (4): Approx. $10 @ Menards (used only the hooks and not the latches, because the latches were junk)

Stainless steel for handle mount: Found laying around in the basement

1.5" SCH40 PVC for handles: Left over from previous project

1.5" PVC endcaps (2): $1.58 @ Fleet Farm

1.5" test plugs (2): $3.58 @ Fleet Farm (thanks to Moneysavr for the test plug idea!)

"Anchor-Tite" marine epoxy: Approx. $6 @ Home Depot

Misc. screws and rubber padding for camera tray: Found laying around in various locations (it pays to live on a farm!)

Approximate Total: $71.11

I have just uploaded pictures of the finished housing.

Here are some notes and possible future modifications:
1. The handles are hollow (and hopefully watertight), and I intend to put weights inside them to achieve neutral bouyancy, and also to balance the housing side-to-side.
2. For front-to-rear weight adjustment, I will put small weights, probably the adhesive lead strips used to weight model trains, underneath the camera tray. As mentioned, the majority of the weights will be inside the handles.
3. The bar that the handles mount onto is stainless steel, and I may eventually build one or two magnetic flashlight mounts to stick onto it.
4. Another possible add-on that I am considering is adding a mirror to the inside of the housing in such a way as to enable me to see the camera's LCD screen.

Well, I guess that's about it. Thanks to all of you who helped me with ideas, pictures and advice! And, as always, any further opinions would be appreciated...

Only one thing remains to be done: Actual testing of the housing!

Take a look at my pics and please let me know what you think!

Thanks Again,

McGill

Back
Top Bottom