PVC Tank Rack Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmm....wheels are turning....how hard would it be to modify this to fit stage bottles...

When I want to carry stages in mine, I just wrap some ball bungee tie downs that are used for Tarps like these. Obviously if you want to make it just for something small like 40's then you could make it all narrower. I also made one that the bottom is open so I can slide my Double 120's in there... Don't remember the specific size that I made this one, but I know that I made it a little wider to accommodate the doubles.

P4180010.jpg

P4180009.jpg

P4180008.jpg

P4180007.jpg

Phil

I just priced all the fittings needed to build a 10-tank rack and a 8-tank rack without the back rails. I went to the Greenhouse Megastore for the fittings, which seem impossible to find in 1-1/4" Schedule 40, so I will use Furniture-grade, UV Stabilized fittings instead.

10-tank rack: 8, 1-1/4" 3-way fittings at $2.01 ea. = $16.08
24, 1-1/4" 4-way fittings at $2.43 ea. = $58.32
8, 1-1/4" 5-way fittings at $3.70 ea. = $29.60
Total = $104

8-tank rack: 8, 1-1/4" 3-way fittings at $2.01 ea. = $16.08
20, 1-1/4" 4-way fittings at $2.43 ea. = $48.60
6, 1-1/4" 5-way fittings at $3.70 ea. = $22.
Total = $86.88

Note: These totals do not include the pipe cost which shouldn't be that much. The furniture-grade fittings are also UV Stabilized, but standard PVC Pipe will not be.

DrFrank, thanks for sharing these plans. It's a great design and very inexpensive in comparison to other racks.

If you are going to the trouble of making stuff out of PVC, consider using furniture-grade pipe. It comes WITHOUT those markings which you can remove with acetone or MEK. Companies that supply the stuff for greenhouses have it.

Also, you can permanently stain, not paint, PVC pipe with dye like this that's made for the oil industry to mark pipes.:

Green Dye for PVC Stain 1 oz Concentrate LQD | eBay

that's made for the oil industry to mark pipes.

How fragile is it? If someone will be putting in a tank and will miss and hit a pipe, will it crack?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom