Q & A for Suunto Diving Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
that's right, a violated DS wouldn't make the device lock out but give you a slight penalty. So you must have broken the ceiling and exhausted the latitude. I can give you more detailed feedback if you sent me your log file(s). Pls. drop me a private message should you be interested in that...
As for the DS: The DX as well as the D9tx uses them by default in mixed gas mode and you can't switch them off (as opposed to D6i's Nitrox mode for instance). They'll come into play once you're going below 20m unless the ceiling drops below 1/4 of max depth.

br Hendrik

Hello Hendrik,
I am a retired instructor, with a relatively good history with Suunto dive products.
Starting with an Eon, Cobra & a D9 since 2006.
The urethane strap cracked really badly on the D9, apparently an issue on certain skin (oil?) types.
I upgraded to a titanium strap. & pressure transducer. (Total Investment $1000.oo Cdn)
2 years ago, I turned on the LED at night to check the time & the LED stayed on very bright, drained the battery.
I replaced the battery & the unit functions fine other wise, but the LED is dead.
I contacted Bare Canada (our rep in BC) & repair estimate was $150 plus shipping.
I thought this was a bit steep.
I shipped it back once before & it was 3 weeks, to change the battery, & update the firmware.

Is the LED failure a common occurrence? It was extremely bright when this happened.

Mike Dolson

Hi Mike,
problems with the LED are rare and this one in specific I haven't heard of yet. However I regret that it let you down. My thought on this: considering that you've used it for some time I'd rule out a manufacturing flaw. It might be that the LED itself had not been quite ok and malfunctioned at some point, causing it to break. This is mere speculation though...

br Hendrik

Hi Hendrik, I noticed earlier in this thread that you said it was possible to upgrade a Suunto d9tx with the software from a dx by sending it in. I was wondering if this was still possible and if so how much it would cost/how would I go about doing it? Many thanks, Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom