[Q]Dive and climb a mountain after 12 hours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrowyCrow

Registered
Reaction score
i am planning to make 4 dives over 2 days. Possibly max depth 60 feet

My last dive will be on 1pm and i am going to climb a mountain of 9000 feet at next day 1am.

It takes 5 hours to reach the summit

Not sure if this is safe.

Thanks.

I did the other way around, safer. I hiked up to Kilimanjaro (19,341' in 5 days) & then dove in Zanzibar on the next 3 days afterwards.

i am planning to make 4 dives over 2 days. Possibly max depth 60 feet

My last dive will be on 1pm and i am going to climb a mountain of 9000 feet at next day 1am.

It takes 5 hours to reach the summit

Not sure if this is safe.

Thanks.

Considering that commercial airplanes are pressurized to approximately the equivalent of 8,000ft of altitude (which you will exceed) and physical exertion (which is the essence of climbing a mountain) may increase your DCI potential I'd say this is worth a call to DAN to see what/if they have a recommendation on this. I do know that NOAA has specialized ascent to altitude tables for this exact situation but I can't seem to find a copy. I have read that NOAA's pressure groups 'letter values' are different than PADI's which means you'd need to compute your pressure group to NOAA's standards. Sorry I can't provide the exact reference material for you.

I would second SCRedwolf's comments about seeking a professional input.

Without knowing dive times and surface intervals it is hard to know what your nitrogen loadings will be. If short dives + long SI they may be low enough not to have any effect (bearing in mind you will be going up the mountain slowly as opposed to flying where you are up to the 8,000ft pressure a lot quicker). If on the other hand you are looking at longer dives (close to or beyond NDL) or minimal SI combined with the exertion, you may be nearing the point at which DCI become a strong possibility.

Doing it the other way round would definitely be a safer option imho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom