Quarry Diving: 500 Dives in a Quarry - Are You SERIOUS???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years back ... long before I got into scuba diving ... I used to swim in a quarry in Rockport, Massachusetts. Someday I'd like to go back there and scuba dive that quarry ... just to see what it's like. Then maybe I'll drive down the road a bit to Annisquam and go chase lobsters. I'm fortunate to live in a place where some pretty good diving is just a few minutes from home ... but variety is the spice of life, and I like some spice in my diving experiences ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Of 23 dives so far, 4 were warm water ocean, 5 were cold water ocean, 2 were large lake / wreck, 2 were small lake, and 10 were quarry. I would love to dive a greater variety more often, but it is not practical or doable for me. The quarry gets me wet and scratches the itch. It's underwater, so it's good. I have two quarry dives so far this year and I am looking forward to more.

I love quarry diving. Even the one I dive all the time never gets boring. I am amazed every time I get in the water.

Sent from my DROID X2

Did 2 quarry dives saturday. I would much rather have been in the outer banks, off long island, or even the great lakes. But it was the first time with the new can light and other items. It was also a 50 minute drive instead of a minimum of two and half hours. There was no boat fee, no entry fee, and time was nice. I did not have to get up at five am and was home around 4:30. We did two nice fifty minute dives and saw how this particular place changed over the winter. Saw some bluegill that would have not fit in a 12 inch skillet. Saw a few bass that were moving slowly in the cold.water. Surface was 61, @ 15' it was around 54, & @ 30 it was 46-48 depending on whose comp you went by. Going to the other places I noted would have been at a min $200.00, not having the time or wanting to spend that much for a couple dives made it a great day. Not everyone lives close to big water or has a job that allows them to just take off to somewhere warm every other weekend. So we do what we can and make the best of every dive no matter the conditions, temperature, or what there is to see or not see. Frankly I feel sorry for those whose attitude is that there is nothing to see. They must have a serious problem with life in general. There is always something new and exciting on every dive I do in a quarry. Even if I have to lower my expectations and definitions of new and exciting a bit. I hear divers complain about how boring this place or that one is or was. Yet they do nothing to improve the experience themselves. They don't set a goal nail their buoyancy and trim or.any other skill. They don't try to improve the site by cleaning up around it or where allowed add things for people to see. All they do is piss and moan about it. Those people would make life better for those of us who can see beauty and value in every site if they would just stay away from it and keep their opinions to themselves. And away from the new divers who we are introducing to the activity. Because the new local.divers are the ones that will support the industry long after Mrand Mrs Fussybritches have found some new activity to take up. And then complain about some aspect of that one.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I dove sherkston quarry on Sat. Are you talking about this site? Saw two locomotives, train tracks and a bicicle my partner was more than happy to try to ride underwater. LOL
Pretty murky but was still a great dive.

Another great post, and remarkable since it was done from your Droid.

Did 2 quarry dives saturday. I would much rather have been in the outer banks, off long island, or even the great lakes. But it was the first time with the new can light and other items. It was also a 50 minute drive instead of a minimum of two and half hours. There was no boat fee, no entry fee, and time was nice. I did not have to get up at five am and was home around 4:30. We did two nice fifty minute dives and saw how this particular place changed over the winter. Saw some bluegill that would have not fit in a 12 inch skillet. Saw a few bass that were moving slowly in the cold.water. Surface was 61, @ 15' it was around 54, & @ 30 it was 46-48 depending on whose comp you went by. Going to the other places I noted would have been at a min $200.00, not having the time or wanting to spend that much for a couple dives made it a great day. Not everyone lives close to big water or has a job that allows them to just take off to somewhere warm every other weekend. So we do what we can and make the best of every dive no matter the conditions, temperature, or what there is to see or not see. Frankly I feel sorry for those whose attitude is that there is nothing to see. They must have a serious problem with life in general. There is always something new and exciting on every dive I do in a quarry. Even if I have to lower my expectations and definitions of new and exciting a bit. I hear divers complain about how boring this place or that one is or was. Yet they do nothing to improve the experience themselves. They don't set a goal nail their buoyancy and trim or.any other skill. They don't try to improve the site by cleaning up around it or where allowed add things for people to see. All they do is piss and moan about it. Those people would make life better for those of us who can see beauty and value in every site if they would just stay away from it and keep their opinions to themselves. And away from the new divers who we are introducing to the activity. Because the new local.divers are the ones that will support the industry long after Mrand Mrs Fussybritches have found some new activity to take up. And then complain about some aspect of that one.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I dive the same pond/strip everytime over the summer since it is all I got remotely close to me. I would love to dive the ocean every week but well thats just not possible. I like to say when you dive a quarry every weekend it just makes the very few ocean dives I do that much more enjoyable. Ocean divers complain about 20 ft viz isn't good enough. Bad viz to me is a foot or two.

It all has to do with perspective. Nova Scotia Atlantic diving is good, sometimes better than good. Northern Gulf of Mexico diving is better than that. Caribbean diving (I've only done that once) is way better than either. Lake/river diving gets you wet and is OK, but ranks on the bottom for me. Yes, all diving is good and we shouldn't complain (unless actual zero viz, etc.), but some dives, even in the same area are yes, way more boring compared to others.

I have dove warm clear water, I love diving the cold clear water(depending on the weather), of Lake Michigan, but the taxi ride to the wrecks is $115 or so, and the local quarries... Free if I am teaching, $20 if just there to practice skills, makes it an easy choice.

Back
Top Bottom