Quarry Diving: 500 Dives in a Quarry - Are You SERIOUS???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main reasons I dive quarries is to practice my cave diving skills when I am not near caves. Those people you see decked out in gear are probably doing the same thing. Any dive site can be a cave if you use your imagination. When you pretend you can't surface directly the dive suddenly becomes very much more interesting. I've setup quite a few guideline maze type systems where when you see the gold line it is the start of the cave and at that point you treat it as such.

Another thing that is fun is to have another diver setup a bunch of guidelines without you knowing where they go and then try navigating to the end and back without looking up (only look at your spgs in order to know when to turn).

You can also do body recovery drills with your buddy and pretend you are in the cave so you have to stay low along the line while dragging them.

Really any kind of drill you would do in an overhead environment you can simulate in a quarry. You can even create "restrictions" by having a line cross over the mainline a little above it - if you move the line more than an inch (simulating a squeeze) you lose and cannot pass through. This is good for practicing no mount or superman SM tanks.

One thing - always setup the courses on the bottom as to not interfere with other peoples diving or creating line traps.

I easily dive the same quarry for an extended amount of dives and am perfectly happy just working on my skills.

Diving is better than not diving. A poor dive if much better than working. That being said, I've never dived at Dutch Springs and have no current plans to do so. I may dive there someday and am quite sure I would have fun, probably a lot of fun.

Best, Craig

Haven't seen this thread for 5 years. I still haven't been to Dutch Springs but haven't changed my mind. I'll get there someday

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom