Question about air integrated computers and transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purbeast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've decided that I want to buy my own regulator kit and BCD. Those are the only 2 pieces of gear that I don't own yet and have decided after my first pre-certification dives that I want my own gear lol.

I already have a computer that is capable of AI. Obviously my computer has depth on it as well.

So since my computer has depth on it, and if I had a transmitter it could also have the tank air pressure on it, would there be a need for me to get an SPG/depth gauge with my reg kit?

Is it common that people simply do not have any gauges on their setup, and is that something that is safe? I realize that redundancy is a good thing and people do have gauges with AI and computers, but I'm just wondering if it is common practice to not have gauges?

The main reason I'm wondering is because I am wondering if I should be more in the market for a transmitter instead of worrying about what gauges to get, and spending the money I would on gauges and put it towards a transmitter.

For normal everyday diving I've used only a transmitter and wrist-mounted guage for years. Never had need for a separate analog guage. YMMV.

Redundancy is a good thing. I include backup computer after ran out of battery in my dive computer (DC) during a week long 4-5 dives/day liveaboard trip loading up with nitrogen in my body.

I dive with SUUNTO Cobra 2 (air integrated DC) & D4 (non air integrated DC) + submersible pressure gauge (SPG).

I don’t use any wireless pressure transmitter, just a high pressure hose connected to the Cobra 2. SPG is a back up to the pressure reading from Cobra 2.

It’s pretty handy to have the SPG for checking the tank pressure. No battery needed to check on the tank pressure, nor worrying about transmitter problem.

I always have a backup computer and an SPG along with Perdix and transmitter.

When I started diving, there were no pressure gauges. We were meticulous about planning our dives so that we could always count on having sufficient air to complete the dive. Along comes the SPG - what a great addition. We were now able to know how much air we had left at any time. Single tank dive planning probably became a little less precise because we could plan to go to a reasonable depth and stay until we had whatever our minimum gas limit was. Again, the SPG was a great and valuable tool. Then comes the wrist computer with integrated air transmitter. Few trusted these new electronic devices to accurately monitor pressure remaining in the tank, so we included both the SPG and the transmitter. We finally discovered that this new electronic pressure transducer was as good as (maybe even more precise) than the SPG. I finally took the SPG off my single tank rig only a short time ago.

I still have an SPG on my recreational regulator, but the only thing I use it for is checking the fill pressure before the dive. I'll probably be taking it off eventually and just using the Perdix.

I wondered about this too. I was planning to keep my SPG on even after I transition to a Teric w/Transmitter... now I'm not so sure.

This tiny SPG has been on my 1st stage regulator for 6 years.

5BC62D7B-3853-43B1-83CE-1ECCA8AF70C9.jpeg
1530CB2E-6674-4BE9-8A94-459C945D2F96.jpeg

For recreational diving AI only. But I have an SPG in my save-a-dive bag just in case.

Back
Top Bottom