Question about air integrated computers and transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All:
I read some of this thread and am really shocked at some of your answers/responses on wether to use a mechanical pressure gauge if you have ai. I am a pilot and also an airframe and power plant guy. I guess since I have been in aviation we have “redundant” systems. Why for the love of God would you get rid of a gauge on your console and leave everything to chance that your tank pod will not fail? What if it does and you’ve deleted the mechanical gauge? It’s a guessing game at that point on how much air you have left in your tank. A mechanical gauge is not that expensive, you already have a console, why delete it? As for me and my family, we all have air integrated wrist mounted dive computers and we also have console mounted back up computers and air pressure gauges. Hope you guys remain safe. Please think about your choice to delete a gauge because of technology. My 2 pennies worth.

Glenn

See, I don't see having AI only a safety issue. This is for MY diving and it may be a different thing for others and THEIR diving. There is rarely every a clear cut and all encompassing answer applying to all diver.

Here is why I don't consider my lack of SPG as 'leaving everything to chance':

- I always know my pressure and consumption, and even it it drops out it would not be long after I checked it last, and the Perdix keeps the last reading also. At the beginning of a dive, I may spend a couple of minutes trying to reconnect, at the end of the dive I would make my way up.
- I do not have a console, so it is an additional piece that I want to do with our for the sake of simplicity.
- I have a pony with enough gas to get me up comfortably from max depth if **** hits the gorgonian fan.

"you already have a console, why delete it?" uummmm no, I have not used a console since I first dived around twenty years ago. And then people dived with console "technology" for many years with no back up, how in the world did they ever survive?

"It’s a guessing game at that point on how much air you have left in your tank." not if you pay any attention to your DC and pressure reading. If in the very unlikely case that you you lose pressure reading it will be a little bit less than the last time you looked and unless you're in the habit of leaving little or no reserve at the end of dives you'll have plenty to simply surface.

Funny, we'd all be walking instead of flying if we did not rely on technology.

Go ahead, any of you, find my pressure gauge in the pic :), I double dare ya... :cool:

M

CTqaaR.jpg

You fail to see my point. If you had an ai failure but also have a mechanical backup, guess what? You don’t have to abort your dive. Feel me? Why does everything have to be debated to death? Your opinion is ok, mine is ok. You do you. All I’m saying is redundancy is part of the 6 P’s, prior planning prevents piss poor performance. Always plan for the unexpected because things happen and things fail. Minimize your failures with redundant options. Again my opinion, yours may vary and that’s ok as well.

Glenn

"you already have a console, why delete it?" uummmm no, I have not used a console since I first dived around twenty years ago. And then people dived with console "technology" for many years with no back up, how in the world did they ever survive?

"It’s a guessing game at that point on how much air you have left in your tank." not if you pay any attention to your DC and pressure reading. If in the very unlikely case that you you lose pressure reading it will be a little bit less than the last time you looked and unless you're in the habit of leaving little or no reserve at the end of dives you'll have plenty to simply surface.

Funny, we'd all be walking instead of flying if we did not rely on technology.
Ok, I do and it houses my backup computer, my backup compass and my backup pressure gauge.. it does not interfere with my diving and I look at it while diving and bounce the numbers against my wrist computer. When not reading it, I place it back in my BCD pocket out of the way. What is wrong with that? I guess since you’re opposed to this I’m curious why?

Feels like this is the same debate in multiple threads over a very long time. Fundamentally comes down to how much redundancy is necessary to mitigate risk. In general the diving community (as enshrined in agency standards) had decided that having a diving buddy is sufficient redundancy for most things (a second source of air, help in case of entanglement etc). In the Solo diving community the debate is constantly how much redundancy do you need (how big a 2nd air source, two of three cutting devices, how many masks to carry etc). In this thread, the debate over how much redundancy is necessary with regard to transmitters and air supply monitoring.

Such passionate responses by everyone on any specific topic but the debate is largely based on hypotheticals. I say hypotheticals because there is just not a lot of DATA out there. There are periodically agency and DAN safety reports but I suspect most equipment malfunctions, accidents and incidents are simply not reported. We would probably be a lot better off if we focused our discussion on how we can collect more accurate information so that our recommendations are based on actual observed behavior and trends rather than theorizing about potential scenarios.

You fail to see my point. If you had an ai failure but also have a mechanical backup, guess what? You don’t have to abort your dive. Feel me?

I had a failure of my dive computer once- lost pressure readings and NDL readings as well. I stuck close to my buddy and finished the dive.

So no, I don't feel you and I don't want to feel you.

Why for the love of God would you get rid of a gauge on your console and leave everything to chance that your tank pod will not fail? What if it does and you’ve deleted the mechanical gauge? It’s a guessing game at that point on how much air you have left in your tank. A mechanical gauge is not that expensive, you already have a console, why delete it?

Because you asked. Glenn, we answered.

Why does everything have to be debated to death?

Feel me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom