Question about Cert....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tao of the Dive

Rabid Otter Spotter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, I'm a peace officer i nthe State of Georgia, and I'm looking at taking the first class towards becoming a PSD. It's called DART(Dive Accident Response Tecniques) in the Georgia POST system.

Anyhow, from what I can tell it follows NAUI principles. (400 Yard swim, 10 pound weight retrieval, 15 minute tread, etc etc....) My question is, that 400 yard swim, is that with fins or not?

I do believe that is with out, (I think that is the initial swim test) but during your training you will have to do another swim with snorkle gear.

That "should be" without fins to show swimming proficiency. You should be able to utilize a variety of strokes, so a part of that 400 yards can be done back stroke.

Good luck.

Dan

Boater Dan:
That "should be" without fins to show swimming proficiency. You should be able to utilize a variety of strokes, so a part of that 400 yards can be done back stroke.

Good luck.

Dan

I don't actually know what the actual requirement is, but whats the point of showing swimming proficiency with out fins if your never going to be without fins.
Just my .02$

vertaqua:
I don't actually know what the actual requirement is, but whats the point of showing swimming proficiency with out fins if your never going to be without fins.
Just my .02$

It's a test used for most Open Water certifications. It's designed to prove the person can actually swim. Not just a little bit but a fair distance. It also shows how comfortable you are in the water when combined with the treading water test. Some of the advanced certifications require the swim test to be timed so you can't just doggie paddle for an hour.

As far as the fins, they are taken off all the time to get on a boat, or a shore entry. You should be able to swim without them in case of an accident (dropping, knocked off, shark eats them etc).

That's my sentiments about the tread for basic OW cert. I don't now if that's how it is for the DART tread, but back when I did my basic we had to tread without anything but swimming trunks. Unless a VERY neat--and neoprene addicted--shark comes along, I think I'll keep my wetsuit on during the dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom