question about deep dive / narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramasule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I realize this may be outside of the trip planning etc but here is my question.
How would one set up a dive either with a really experienced board member/s or dive shop to do a deep dive on air and possibly get narced. I don't ask this to goof off, I ask this as part of training and knowing what it feels like / how to recognize symptoms. I've been past 100 multiple times and around 120 but I was on Nitrox.

Anyways I am just asking as per the reasons stated above.

Thanks,

Derek L

Really? You're asking for advice on a life threatening experience for what you have no experience on a forum of people who you can't measure their own experience or validity of?

Take a Deep Diving class. You'll find your answers there.

Narcosis effects different people in different ways, and it can also effect you in different ways from one dive to the next. I agree with Superlyte, your first experiences shouldn't be done leisurly, but after a bit of learning and under supervision of an instructor.

That said, I've done about 10-15 dives in the 100-130' foot range and I still haven't experienced narcosis. During my class, I had to work out math problems, word searches, and other puzzles on land, then do them at depth (all were timed) to see the effects it had on me. Strangely enough, I did them faster at depth, and got them all correct (they were different puzzles but still very similiar). I still don't believe I've ever been narced, but I think the more important thing is to be aware of it and know what effects it could have. I don't think it's really apropiate to compare, but I've um... 'experimented' with mind altering substances in my past, and I still function with full productivity (at least with marijuana - (hey, it's legal and sold in stores in Colorado, what can I say? haha)) - whereas other people can be completely loopy on it. 'Shrooms' would be a different story, and same with alcohol. It seems like getting narced could be similiar to a combination of all 3 at once - something I really wouldn't want to be doing while diving, so for me, it's good to know 'where I'm at'/how I'm feeling, and know to regularly check my gauges and ascend to avoid a higher potential of danger.

Goes on forum to ask if there is a thing as deep diver or members going that are instructors. Gets usual superlyte answer. Thanks super you are a real super guy.

Was never asking to do it leisurely, hense, "How would one set up a dive either with a really experienced board member/s or dive shop to do a deep dive on air."

If I wanted to die I would just shore dive out and drop.

I guess what I'm asking is going beyond 130 is beyond rec diving / padi deep diver course correct. So in order to exceed this, I will need to start tek courses right?

On a side note the first and only time I danced with maryjane. I slew a dragon, crossed the bridge of death, and made it up to my friends keep. But that is a story for Coz.

That said, I've done about 10-15 dives in the 100-130' foot range and I still haven't experienced narcosis. During my class, I had to work out math problems, word searches, and other puzzles on land, then do them at depth (all were timed) to see the effects it had on me. Strangely enough, I did them faster at depth, and got them all correct (they were different puzzles but still very similiar). I still don't believe I've ever been narced, but I think the more important thing is to be aware of it and know what effects it could have.
@PansSiren: Narcosis affects cognitive function. In my experience, timed performance on math problems, word searches, or other puzzles really aren't the best measures of deficits in cognitive function. Mental loopiness is not the sine qua non of narcosis in divers. Task-loading exercises, memory tests (recall), and perceptual narrowing might prove to be better indicators.

@ramasule: Take a Deep Diving course. A good instructor should be able to answer the questions that you have.

I was told the padi Deep Diving course is just like deep dive #1 of the AOW and really isn't worth it.
Maybe you suggest otherwise bubbletrubble?

I was told the padi Deep Diving course is just like deep dive #1 of the AOW and really isn't worth it.
Maybe you suggest otherwise bubbletrubble?
I haven't taken the PADI Deep Diving course.
I would hope that the instructor for such a course would teach beyond what was presented in the AOW class.

If I were you, I'd find an excellent instructor with lots of experience in deep/tech diving and take a course with him/her.
The instructor may not be a PADI instructor, but agency affiliation shouldn't really matter, right?

I'm just trying to get the point across that I was told the Padi course is maybe not the best option for this. Thats what I am looking for hence the ""How would one set up a dive either with a really experienced board member/s or dive shop to do a deep dive on air."" Agency courses, people in coz that do it, etc. I'm sorry for being so confusing but this is a hard question to word I guess.
I am just worried about one day tralala la la la I'm diving away and it happens to be one of those days where you get narced at 100' and I drown because I don't know whats going on. I want to better myself as a diver and am looking on how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom