question about deviated septum for the doctors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanole

Reaction score
I have a deviated septum from a broken nose when I was 14. I get sinus infections quite a bit(10/01, 1/02,3/02,8/02), 4 since last Oct. My family doctor and my ENT think septoplasty will help me. They did not say it would solve the problem, but that I should be improved over what I am now. My question is will the septoplasty cause me not to be able to dive after recovery from surgery? Sorry so long. Thanks.

Paul

I know of no reason that one could not dive once recovery is complete and your surgeon has cleared you.

There may, of course, be special circumstances that make your case different, but most septoplasty patients can resume diving.

John

Ok, Thanks. I just didn't want it to make it were I could not dive, when I was trying to get it fixed so I did not have dives cancelled due to sinus infections

Dear Paul & Graham,

Chances are excellent that both of you will uneventfully return to scuba once healing is complete. Of course, you should seek & receive your doctor's clearance to dive.

Given routine septoplasty without complications, many patients can return to work in 5-7 days, and to vigorous recreational activities in 10-14 days. Your surgeon will be the best judge of when healing is sufficient to allow for scuba.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom