Question about diving after Lasik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may have already received a message back from DAN, but I'm guessing the answer would be that as long as she is cleared for full physical activity, she should be fine. The risk of diving too soon after the procedure would be trauma to the surgical area as suggested by @michael-fisch , though I would disagree that contact with ocean water would be beneficial.

Best regards,
DDM
We heard back from DAN, her dive instructor and her eye Doctor today at her appt. The consensus was she can dive after 2 weeks as long as she has no complications from the surgery. The eye doc said her eyes look great and to be cautious such as wear sun glasses or tinted swim goggles on the boat to prevent waves from splashing in. He mentioned to bring Blink tear drops and flush her eyes prior and post every dive. Try to minimize her eye exposure to salt water. Basically be cautious

We heard back from DAN, her dive instructor and her eye Doctor today at her appt. The consensus was she can dive after 2 weeks as long as she has no complications from the surgery. The eye doc said her eyes look great and to be cautious such as wear sun glasses or tinted swim goggles on the boat to prevent waves from splashing in. He mentioned to bring Blink tear drops and flush her eyes prior and post every dive. Try to minimize her eye exposure to salt water. Basically be cautious

Sounds like great news. I wish you all most awesome and safe diving!

Sounds like great news. I wish you all most awesome and safe diving!
Thanks! She is super cautious to begin with and a nurse so we should be good. She promised me if she notices anything with her eyes she will let me know. This is first time in 47 years she is able to see without glasses or contacts.

Thanks! She is super cautious to begin with and a nurse so we should be good. She promised me if she notices anything with her eyes she will let me know. This is first time in 47 years she is able to see without glasses or contacts.
I had LASIK after years of diving with contacts. I thought the contacts corrected my vision beautifully. Then I went diving in Cozumel, a place I knew very well. It was like I was seeing it for the first time. The difference was actually startling.

Well.....how did the Lasik go for your wife?? How was the trip to Cozumel?? :D

Well.....how did the Lasik go for your wife?? How was the trip to Cozumel?? :D
She was 20/400 astigmatism was super high as well...She did great and still doing great! Diving has now been amazing for her. She is 53 now and only downside is the need for reading glasses!

Awesome, any issues with her adjusting to the new life without glasses/contacts?

I have worn glasses for all of my adult life...am a bit anxious!

Awesome, any issues with her adjusting to the new life without glasses/contacts?

I have worn glasses for all of my adult life...am a bit anxious!
She has worn glasses also for her whole life. I just asked and she said no not at all....she doesn't even have dry eyes....the only thing she said is she does need reading glasses now...other than that she said it is wonderful

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom