Question about PFT/Spirometry results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easdem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,

A bit of background, I have GERD and allergic rhinitis, and I am ex smoker. On January 2011, I decided I should get a physical since I am getting older and I needed a baseline. Being a DM and working at Duke at the time, I went to Duke Dive Medicine and got the works: bloodwork, physical exam, spirometry etc. Passed everything with flying colors...

The pollen this season has been kicking my butt more than usual, bad PSD and an intermittent throat squeak. I dont have a history of asthma, no dyspnea at rest or with exercise. The doc (pulm/allergist) thought everything was normal, but to appease my mind he sent me for full PFT's with bronchodialator.

Here are the numbers of the pft this AM:

Pre-Rx
FVC 4.62 84%
FEV1 3.69 82%
FEV1/FVC 80=98% pred
FEF25-75 73%

Post Rx
FVC 4.60 83%
FEV1 3.68 82%
FEV1/FVC 83=102% pred
FEF25-75 83%

Last years PFT numbers looked better to my semi-lay brain: 93,93,80,89. What concerns me is the FEF25-75, the only one out of normal range. I dont have an follow up with my doc until next week, and I have a 4 DSD's booked for Sunday... Should I stay out of the water?

Thanks,

Last edited:
This could be a function of the pollen if you don't have anything else going on - I know there's a particularly nasty upper respiratory infection that's been going around the area. Since you've already been seen here, you can call here and talk to one of our fellows if you want.
Best,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom