Question about re-entry when diving from an inflatable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-writer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I'm new to this board - I'm a certified diver who used to live in Grand Cayman and I'm writing a mystery novel with a scene where a character is out on a live-aboard with a number of people and the character has gone out alone in a small inflatable to go spear fishing (I know, I know you're always supposed to have a dive buddy, and this scene will underline why that's important). My question is that if the character gets panicked underwater, their body coursing with adrenaline, and they have powerful legs and a relatively low body weight to muscle mass ratio, is there any way it would be possible for someone to vault into the inflatable with their tank and bc on? It doesn't have to be probable or even likely, just not completely impossible. Thanks!

Dude,

I've dived out of little Zodiacs. They're pretty cool for getting into tight places, but they suck to get back into. Easiest way is to doff your BC first, (just tie it off to the boat first - we used SS boltsnaps) then use fins to get up into the Zodiac. Pull your gear in after you're in the boat. No worries.

Your hero should be able to manage that just fine - without any 'vaulting'!

Regards,

Doc

I think it is not completely impossible, but you would have to be underwater and swim as fast as possible towards the surface right next to the boat to get the momentum to come out of the water like a polaris missile.

This practice would not be reccommended because it could embolize or bend the diver.

can be done,no problem..Have them drop /tie off weight belt and do a simple deep water exit with the tank on..Will be easier if it is a 50 cu or a 63 cu tank,but can be done with an 80--been there/did that..

Just got out of the water in my rib- 32lbs weight belt, dry suit, 80 cu ft, tank pony bottle, i could not swim that fast to launch into the boat (maybe if i was to start at 80 ft hold onto a lobster pot and fill my suit and bc i could make it:D) but if your character in diving warm water he can gear up like James Bond and make it (no weight belt. back pack instead of a bc)

The character could ditch them - that might be a good idea, actually - the person's on a fairly shallow dive and it might make sense for them to ditch their weight belt when they get into trouble - thanks!

The answer is no.

However, a small inflatable can be entered in full gear if it has handhold straps on the floor, reach over the gunwale and grab the strap and pull yourself over while kicking up a fuss.

Humans can make a few miles per hour at most, a dolphin about 25 or so. A dolphin could vault in, a human could not.

N

Back
Top Bottom