Question about Scubapro MK 16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and have been doing a lot of reading to help me buy my first set of gear (bcd, reg, computer) for my trip. This website is great. I'm a relatively new to diving.

I was thinking of buying the Scubapro MK 16 first stage with s550 second stage, octo (not sure which one yet), Tusa SCA330T analogue spg/dg, oceanic vt pro computer air integrated.

Here's my question: Does the MK16 have enough ports to handle the above set up? or do I need to buy the MK25?

Looking at the picture on scubapro's website, the MK16 looks like it only has four ports (2nd stage hose, octo hose, power inflator hose, analogue spg/dg hose).

thanks for your help

ps: probably be getting the Zeagle Brigade from scubatoys (seeing that this is the only item I didn't mention)

The MK16 has four LP ports (two of them “high-flow”) and one HP port so you won’t be able to use both the TUSA spg and the VT Pro transmitter.

You will find that virtually all regs have at least 4 lp ports. One for the reg, one for octo, one for inflator, and a spare if you want to run a dry suit. Then some others like the Aeris, Zeagle DSV etc, have 5. So don't sweat the # of ports too much.

The main reason for extra ports is not that people put more stuff on... it's just so they have options where they attach stuff for hose routing.

I would however mention that I personally would not go with that reg. We have 35 of them in rental, and we have had a fair number of problems, and we are not very impressed with their performance. The MK16 is basically discontinued by Scubapro and now they are selling it to Tusa who is selling it as one of their bottom of the line regs. So when Tusa has it in their line below something like a RS110, it might be saying something.

I like the rest of the stuff on your list... especially that brigade! :wink: , but I'd maybe consider going with a zeagle reg, oceanic, tusa... or go up to the MK25 600 if you wanted to spend more on the primary.

But I realize some folks swear by the mk16's.... having them in rental, we've done more: swear at them than swear by them.

The TUSA RS-460. I wonder what the difference is between the TUSA 2nd and an S550?

Scubapro has discontinued the Mk 16, so if you want one, get one soon.

On the other hand, Scubapro has replaced the Mk 16 with the generally similar but fully sealed Mk 17. It also sports a high pressure port on each side. So you now have one high flow port, one regular low pressure port and one high pressure port on each side.

Personally, I replaced my Mk 20's with Mk 17's, and I see no reason that you would need to go with a Mk 25 at this point.

awap:
The TUSA RS-460. I wonder what the difference is between the TUSA 2nd and an S550?

Just the colour of the purge and the logo.

Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like I'll have to do some more research for a reg.

I was originally going to get an Oceanic (Delta 4) but when I visited my LDS they sold me on the SP MK16 due to SP's worldwide serviceability (they failed to mention that it was being discontinued - hhmmm - maybe they're trying to get rid of their stock). (In fairness, I was also a little hesitant with Delta 4 cuz of the comments on this board regarding whistling in the 1st stage).

Here's a couple more question then....

1) I have not yet researched Tusa or Zeagle's regs. Can you guys give me a specific model number for Tusa and Zeagle regs that can work with the above setup? perferably within the MK16 price range.

2) if MK17 is pretty much the same as MK16 (only difference being that it's fully sealed), won't the issues that Larry experiences on his rentals carry over to the MK17?

3) which hoses attach to which ports? SPG/DG & Transmitter to HP. 2nd stage/Octo & Inflator to LP? Is this correct?

PS - Larry I'll probably be in touch after I figure out which reg to get. :)

SP did some other tweaks to the MK17 as well. If I were buying a new 1st right now, that's what I'd get, without question.

/start evangelist mode

Take a look at the X650 2nd stage.

/end evangelist mode

:)

I am not sure what Larry's issues could be, but locally, the Mk 16 has performed extremely well. My most frequent dive buddy has used his extensively over the last couple years doing about 130 divers per year, nearly all in cold water (bottom temps in the 40's) and with a large percentage of the dives being to 130 feet or deeper. It is also the reg used by the local dive rescue team and by several local divers. We have had zero complaints or failures with it.

The Mk 17 shares much of the general Mk 16 design, but based on expereince with the Mk 16 has been refined in several areas, including the fully sealed diaphragm and a newly designed high pressure seat guide. Scubapro has put an extensive amount of design effort into it with the goal of creating an optimum, no compromises diaphragm first stage design and I have no doubt it will prove to be even more reliable than the Mk 16.

Larry is mistaken in his assertion that SP is "selling" the Mk 16 to TUSA or that TUSA is marketing the Mk 16 as one of their low end regulators.

Scubapro designs regulators but does not waste money on production facilites for what would be relatively low volume production runs. Tabata has manufactured Scubapro's designs under contract to SP's design and quality specifications for decades. Historically, license agreements are negotiated where once SP's exclusive rights expire, Tabata markets internally identical but cosmetically different versions of SP regulators through TUSA - which is the acronym for "Tabata USA". To my knowledge this has been occuring since the Scubapro balanced piston Mk 5 first stage, which was also marketed by TUSA as the TR-400 for at least a decade after SP discontinued the Mk 5.

The current TUSA R400 balanced diaphragm first stage is identical to the Mk 16 with the exception of the trim boot on the ambient chamber end of the regulator. It is marketed in their R460 package and is in my estimation an upper end TUSA regulator rather than a low end regulator.

Scubapro has discontinued the Mk 16 in the US on July 25th. Scubapro has historically allowed US dealers to depart from the dealer pricing restrictions on clearence items and in a market where the margin runs around 100%, the savings can be considerable. I have gotten great deals on BC's regulators and wet suits on clearence in the past (one of my MK 20 D400's was bought for $340 - 10% over dealer cost - after it had been discontinued.) I don't expect that Scubapro would treat the Mk 16 any differently, so if dealers choose to do so, they could offer some very competitive deals on them. Some dealers will stock up on clearnece items to provide them with potential sale items to complete with on-line retailers and cheaper scuba gear companies in general while others don't, so your mileage may vary.

US Scubapro dealers are restricted from selling Scubapro regs on-line or by mail. The customer has to come into the shop at some point in the transaction for the sale to comply with the dealer agreement.

So if you buy one on-line, it will be a grey market reg sold without the Scubapro US warranty and free parts for life program. However a discontinued reg bought from an authorized dealer in a shop at a clearence price would still be sold with a full warranty and the parts program. So for the same price as a grey market on-line reg you could probably get the same reg for the same price but with a warranty through an authorized dealer.

DA Aquamaster:
I am not sure what Larry's issues could be, ...

We have had a large percentage of them have IP creep problems and also more than a few bubble out past the 1st stage diaphragm. And this was on regs less than a year old without a lot of dives on them.

DA Aquamaster:
Larry is mistaken in his assertion that SP is "selling" the Mk 16 to TUSA or that TUSA is marketing the Mk 16 as one of their low end regulators. ...

Perhaps it would have been better to say sp is "selling" the right for Tusa to market it... Tusa is paying SP so I take that as SP is selling....

DA Aquamaster:
It is marketed in their R460 package and is in my estimation an upper end TUSA regulator rather than a low end regulator.
And as far as "one of their low end regulators" that is actually a direct quote from the national sales manager of Tusa who was in my shop last Saturday for a Scuba Diving Magazine Sponsored Tusa sale... and based on the fact the dealer cost on that model is less than their other ones... which then I would consider their higher end. And I have found the other tusa models not only cost more... but perform better.

We still have dozens of them in our pool, and I invite anyone down to take one into our pool and compare it to the Tusa regs we have back there and make their own decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom