Question about TDI’s Helitrox Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyle0692

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Last month I completed TDI’s AN/DP courses. I’ve done about a 100 or so dives now and about 5 of those have been in the 120-130 ft range and during my certification I went down to 155 ft. For me narcosis has been pretty significant. Very seldom do I feel much, if at all, shallower than 110 ft but in the 120’s-130’s I feel it every dive. 155 feet did not feel worse than 130, but I definitely lost my focus considerably and it added to the task loading I already had while doing skills at depth. I am interested in Helitrox to help offset narcosis while I get experience diving the tech configuration within 150 ft and shallower for dives in the 120-150 ft range. You may ask why I didn’t take this to begin with. I didn’t know about the offering to start, and also my instructor is not yet certified as a trimix instructor, which I understand you have to be certified for to teach this course. I was curious if anyone has gone down this path and what it may look like skill-wise in addition to what I have learned in AN/DP. There are a couple of great wrecks in the WPB area that I want to dive, the Hydro Atlantic and the Lady Luck which are in the 130-160 ft range.

Thanks!

Kyle

Doing them together as a package course an/dp/helitrox is the way to go. Even though dp helitrox are the same course really. At this point I'd just pony up a few dollars and take trimix. I'm not saying helitrox is a waste of money. But why pay again for a course you already took just to be limited on helium. Pay the money and do trimix its a better way to spend your money.

what it may look like skill-wise in addition to what I have learned in AN/DP.
From what I've read in here, Helitrox and DP are exactly the same but with a bit more theory.

I was curious if anyone has gone down this path and what it may look like skill-wise in addition to what I have learned in AN/DP.

I'm skipping that and just doing full trimix. No reason not to. It's not like you must do 200' dives all the time. But, I researched it some and it looks like the skills are basically the same thing, just some additional academic stuff.

Hi all,

Last month I completed TDI’s AN/DP courses. I’ve done about a 100 or so dives now and about 5 of those have been in the 120-130 ft range and during my certification I went down to 155 ft. For me narcosis has been pretty significant. Very seldom do I feel much, if at all, shallower than 110 ft but in the 120’s-130’s I feel it every dive. 155 feet did not feel worse than 130, but I definitely lost my focus considerably and it added to the task loading I already had while doing skills at depth. I am interested in Helitrox to help offset narcosis while I get experience diving the tech configuration within 150 ft and shallower for dives in the 120-150 ft range. You may ask why I didn’t take this to begin with. I didn’t know about the offering to start, and also my instructor is not yet certified as a trimix instructor, which I understand you have to be certified for to teach this course. I was curious if anyone has gone down this path and what it may look like skill-wise in addition to what I have learned in AN/DP. There are a couple of great wrecks in the WPB area that I want to dive, the Hydro Atlantic and the Lady Luck which are in the 130-160 ft range.

Thanks!

Kyle

I went your path last year. I did TDI SIdemount, AN/DP and Helitrox course. From practical point of view you will not get any additional skills comparing to your TDI Decompression procedures training. In order to get Helitrox certification I had to go through Trimix theory course, to do 2 or 4 dives (do not remember exactly) with Helitrox (20% helium). Also, I was tought how to check tanks with Helitrox as different analyser is used.

My AN/DP and Helitrox instructors were different but from the same dive shop (instructor has to be Trimix instructor in order to teach Helitrox). During Helitrox dives we did the dive planning procedures, dived according to plan to 45 m depth and focused on some of my skills where instructor thought I had weak spots. I was told that it is very important to have good buoyancy skills in order to not to bounce during various tasks, e.g. deco steps, deploying DSMB, etc. as in Trimix dives this becomes very important and mistakes are not forgiven.

For me it was not a big difference to dive 45 m on air or on Trimix as I was diving in warm water with good visibility. I specifically asked instructor to watch me closely as I was afraid of gas narcosis, however, everything went according to the plan and instructor did not observe any changes in my behavior. Of course, if you dive in cold water and bad visibility situation might me very different.

After Helitrox course I am going to do at least 100 dives and work on my buoyancy skills before attempting Extended range and Trimix courses as I want to be sure that I feel very comfortable in keeping good buoyancy. Another important factor when diving on trimix is costs.... helium is very expensive and this drives costs up. For example my friend just did couple of trimix dives in Dahab, Egypt and had to pay almost EUR 1000 (this cost included trimix cost for dive guide as well).

I'm skipping that and just doing full trimix. No reason not to. It's not like you must do 200' dives all the time. But, I researched it some and it looks like the skills are basically the same thing, just some additional academic stuff.

Yes, it makes sense to skip Helitrox if you already have very good skills (especially buoyoncy) and to Trimix course. However, in my opinion, there should be some period or time between AN/DP and Trimix and at least 100 dives in order to start approaching Trimix as you need good experience in deep diving. T least this is a route that I am taking.

Yes, it makes sense to skip Helitrox if you already have very good skills (especially buoyoncy) and to Trimix course. However, in my opinion, there should be some period or time between AN/DP and Trimix and at least 100 dives in order to start approaching Trimix as you need good experience in deep diving. T least this is a route that I am taking.

I would agree if you want to do 200' dives every weekend. But if you are doing 130' dives, just with helium. It's not really that different than without. You should already have good buoyancy if you already have AN/DP.

I would agree if you want to do 200' dives every weekend. But if you are doing 130' dives, just with helium. It's not really that different than without. You should already have good buoyancy if you already have AN/DP.

My buoyancy skills are already ok but I still have a feeling that I could do better. Also, to attempt Trimix course when I have all appr. 100 dives is too early. That's why I want to get more experience before attempting Trimix course. Yes, after that course I am planning to do dives in 50-60 m range. Up to 40 m range trimix diving is too expensive for me.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts. My thoughts are similar to Efka, would like to get quite a bit of experience under my belt diving to 45m or so before moving on to Trimix. Since I have already done AN/DP with my instructor, I am willing to bet he would not charge me much for the Helitrox certification once he is certified to teach it. If I have to pay the full course cost again I will probably just dive within my narcosis comfort zone of shallower than 130’ and get experience, and then take Trimix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom