Question about tipping on SCUBA trips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PVille Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First time poster, long time observer.

My question is what is a good/fair tip to give to Dive Master's and helpers on SCUBA trips, both for local trips i.e. "Giant Stride" and travel.

Well, it is a bit like dining. Remember many dive masters rely heavily on tip money for their compensation. A 2 tank dive is about $60 so a $10 tip is appropriate.

Wow $60 for a two tank boat dive? Where are you diving??

I usually throw in $5-$10 depending on the service, which is usually good.

My question is what is a good/fair tip to give to Dive Master's and helpers on SCUBA trips, both for local trips i.e. "Giant Stride" and travel.

Glad to have you post finally. You should post as often as you have a question or want to share equipment configurations, idea's or dive experiences. This is the right place.

I normally tip $10. Since loading and unloading is my only real need of the DM on this dive boat.

However, if they are being a dive leader and guide giving a tour to the buddy group you are with, I would suggest the $15 tip minimum for all the extra work and service.

LTS Dive Masters seem to go the extra mile when I have been out on the boat, and are always ready to help or guide divers on Lake Travis.

They have really done a terrific job this last year of running lines between underwater objects and boats in an effort to help with the navigation of low visibility conditions.
Make diving that much more consistent and fluid in Lake Travis.

Just my two cents.

Started this in Cozumel and it seems to be pretty standard everywhere I have gone... $5 per tank, $10 if I really get exception service... but for the DM who puts me on pairs of juvenile drums... a lot more...

I think about $25 per divemaster would be good ok that was my DMC side .

I hate that we have to tip DMs, as a diver we pay plenty and sometimes over a week more than that to dive, and then to tip on top of that is pill to take.

I think the ops should pay the DMs what they are worth and include it in the diving, and since TIPS stands for To Insure Prompt Service then the DMs should be inspired to earn their pay. So obviously I am right on the fence.

I have read several times that $5-10 per tank is about normal. and when I am a DM that will be fine with me. (I earn plenty now, have no intention of caring about money when I am a DM).

I will be in Cozumel on a cruise next month doing a 2 tank dive thru the cruiseline. Is the $5 per tank guideline valid for a tip in that situation?

It depends.

If they have a tip jar we usually tip $20 per diver (so $40 for total for my wife and I) if the DM and staff was exceptional. If they were average we tip $10-15 oer diver.

If there's no tip jar then we will distribute a percentage of the above according to their helpfulness. Sometimes we think the DM sucks but the boat crew are great and sometimes the boat crew sucks but the DM is great.

After seeing the other posts I'm now wondering about the amount we tip :)

I usually tip $20 or so for day trips (haven't been on a day charter in over 2 years though). Livaboards I usaully tip 15% of trip cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom