Question about tipping on SCUBA trips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tipping, that's the city in China, right? Oh, and Pville#2, you new to Pflugerville? I only say this because there's one V in pflugerville. :p

I would tip maybe 10 a tank or so, for day trips, depending on service and what's done. Liveaboards, well, that's a bit different. I think I threw in 40 or 50 to the kitty on the Fling last time I went out, but it was a bit cheaper back then. BUT, at the same time, those guys are getting to go out there and dive while you're not in the water, getting a free trip with food and drinks and such, and so I wouldn't say that they're getting shorted in the least. YES, I know they're filling tanks and taking care of you and whatnot, but it's a bit different of a story, they're not all work and no play.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

I agree. On the fling it's a bit different. The DM's on the boat are filling tanks, checking divers in and out of the water, and making sure everyone is OK. There are also the two people in the galley making sure everyone gets fed when they are hungry. When you tip on the fling, it's divided up between the DM's and the galley crew. Yea, they get to dive, but not nearly as much as the paying customers. The other professional divers on the boat are the trip leaders from the shop. They go for free and can dive all the dives. They get no part of the tips, just the free trip, but it's not all fun and games for them either. If there is a new diver who is either struggling or needs a buddy, guess who? They are the go person for the shop you bought your trip with.

Thanks PVilleStang, I have lived here several year and can only explain the misspelling on clumsie fingers and terible spelling habits.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, all great information. Looks like a wide range of opinion and flexibility.

One more spinoff question:

When you tip on the "Giant Stride" is the tip shared with the dive master and the cart person?

I have been enjoying this thread and wanted to stay out until appropriate time to chime in.

First, to share my approach I tip the dive operations very well because I appreciate what the crew/dm do for me. They deserve to be tipped better than the person serving your food (no offense to waitstaff/barstaff, just a comparison) since they are looking out for your safety and enjoyment and have invested into their professional career to get to the position they are in and are required to carry insurance which is not required in most service jobs.

As for the crew of the Giant Stride, the DM's work only for gratuities so they should be first considered when it comes to tipping, assuming they did a good job and provided you a quality experience. Ellen works for a small wage and makes extra from tips (she is working toward her DM certification and putting money away for college). The reason I believe she deserves consideration for tipping is that she does more than just drive the shuttle, she will haul your tanks and gear to the boat and back to the shuttle or assist as needed. She is like the bellman at the hotel who will open doors but will work extra for you if you need it.

I ask the divers to tip the crew directly as they appreciate it coming from you. The tips are not split, but I have seen many times that the DM will spilt a nice tip with the shuttle operator when they know she didn't get a tip. Tips to the crew of Giant Stride are never expected but always appreciated.

Like most DM's, the LTS DM's come out for the experience, professional development, to share their experience with others and for a chance to dive. DM'ing on Giant Stride gives them an opportunity that is rare in the standard role of a local DM. They become the goto person, the dive leader, and more than just a assistant to the instructor, they are on the boat to help the divers enjoy their dive. I believe that instructors should be educating their divers about tipping protocol since many of them are preparing to go on a dive trip and will use the services of a DM, and give the DM an opportunity to make a few dollars when participating in OW and con-ed classes. Some instructors take care of the DM financially or with a meal while others just offer a thank you and pat on the back.

As for the boat operator, he deserves a HUGE tip for being such a knowledgable resource and one heck of a guy.......but he will accept chocolate or a good cigar in lieu of financial gratuities. More importantly, a good recommendation to other divers is really appreciated.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts on this topic, this is the type of information that is helpful to new divers who typically get put on the spot at the end of a charter because they didn't know about tipping practices.

Last edited:
Now I'm beginning to feel like a cheap-skate

Having only a few dives behind me, I have had dives where I thought a tip was well deserved and tipped well. I have had others where I really couldn't justifiy leaving a tip.

I don't think many leave a tip at McDonolds and if that is a good comparison to the dive boat I don't see where a tip is required.

Tip as much as you possibly can. Both your life and the life of the person you are tipping depends on it!

Robert, paging Robert, assistance needed, isle two...

I guess someone is has islands on the brain, eh? Glad Robert found us in 'aisle' two :wink: [sorry - sometimes the editor in me cant keep quiet]

That being said, I tend to be a non-cash person. I love my plastic. Last time I was in Coz I told the operator to add my tip to my credit card charge. I had been diving with multiple DMs throughout the week so I know that the operator would share it out appropriately. It was easier than always having to have an extra spot of cash on each day of diving. But I would only do that with an operator who has a lot of integrity and you know they will share out your tip.

As for the boat operator, he deserves a HUGE tip for being such a knowledgable resource and one heck of a guy.......but he will accept chocolate or a good cigar in lieu of financial gratuities. More importantly, a good recommendation to other divers is really appreciated.

So Robert what is a good cigar? Just in case we need to bribe a certain captain. :wink:

I dove the Clipper this past weekend, and I ended up tipping 20%+. I would say at least 20% to the DMs or crew, especially if they help you with your gear. The DMs on Diver 1 loaded all of the tanks and gear on the boat, and they assisted the divers getting in & out of their gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom