Question about women's BCD's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI, I'm not an overly experienced diver, but since day one I've despised jacket style BCD's. Dutch had an expo and I was told prior to that I should try a wing style. OMS was there so I tried their IQ lite. It was a whole new world. New shoulder strain, even distribution, no issues feeling constricted. It was heaven and just the little time I demo'd in the water, made diving so much more enjoyable for me. I have one on order and can't wait to use it all the time now. I was considering the zeagle zena but after this, for me there's no comparison. Good luck!

I hate, hate the lady hawk. I don't like the back inflate. I'm a photographer and the lady hawk kept me too horizontal for my tastes. I also ditched integrated weights and have a weight belt with pockets so the weights don't move around. Everyone is different.

If she likes the lady hawk I have a large I'll donate for shipping costs.

I've been diving since 1980 so my original BCD was a mens. I have a lady's now. I haven't noticed much difference. As people have said, everyone's a little different and what suits one, another hates.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think we're probably leaning towards a BP&W setup. I dive this myself and have been encouraging my wife to give it a try. She's going to give my rig a spin but since she has a smaller frame the plate is probably going to be a little too big for her... still, it should give her an idea of what the harness feels like and the general characteristics of a back inflated donut shaped wing.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

cheers.

For me, switching to a women's specific BCD made all the difference in the world. I'm tall, busty, and of medium/large-ish bone structure. I had previously rented mens/unisex BCDs in size small and even though they were technically the correct size, they always seemed to bunch or feel bulky. I now have a Zena and it has been life changing. I can adjust it to fit my shape perfectly and it is some comfortable and free feeling. I also love having four trim pockets which allow me to get my weighting even more perfect. The zipper in the front also makes it super fast to get on and off.

I mostly dive in warm water and travel.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think we're probably leaning towards a BP&W setup. I dive this myself and have been encouraging my wife to give it a try. She's going to give my rig a spin but since she has a smaller frame the plate is probably going to be a little too big for her... still, it should give her an idea of what the harness feels like and the general characteristics of a back inflated donut shaped wing.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

cheers.

I think trying a BP&W is a good way to go. If she doesn't like it, I would echo the others on this thread that said a women's BCD made a lot of difference for them.

I originally had a men's jacket BCD, which did not fit well at all. The problem was the length - it was long enough that the bottom started to overlap my hips, and the cummerbund hit me extremely low on the waist, where my hips were starting as well. When I tightened it as much as I could because of my hips, it was not really tight enough on my waist. As soon as I got in water and things could move a little, it would end up floating up on me, flopping around my waist area, and feeling like it was restricting my arms and head. I just couldn't keep it in the right spot because of my body's shape where it needed to sit.

I got a Tusa Selene, made for women, and it made a tremendous difference. It was cut short enough so that I could tighten it properly around my waist, and then it didn't budge in the water. I am 5'8" and relatively long in the torso, so I would imagine that if I had this issue, many other women would as well. My current BCD also would be more forgiving in the chest area if space was needed, although I didn't have a problem there.

I learned to dive in a poodle jacket. Not long after, I discovered the Bp/W and switched to that with a long hose. I always travel with all my gear because I would hate to end up having to wear any other type of BC. Plus with the BP/W I can just adjust the straps and it will fit me whether I'm wearing a 5mm wetsuit of a drysuit with heavy undergarments. The pressure on my chest is too uncomfortable.

My wife is short 5'2". We got DSS B/P w/wing. My wife got the short plate in SS. She REALLY likes the way it work - good luck!

I am short waisted with a heavy bust line and I LOVE my oceanic bio lite travel BCD. I never thought much about the back weights but it works very well for my body type and it gives me the room in front to be comfortable. It also has front weight pockets so I have my bouyany under control. ..unless it's after the holidays and more more weight is needed. .smh..

My wife and I are going to be doing some equipment shopping and one of the items on her list is a BCD. She's a very experienced diver but believe it or not, has never actually owned her own gear except a wetsuit, fins and mask.

So I'm wondering... does it really make a difference if she gets a "women's bcd" as opposed to a "regular BCD?' Is there a significant improvement in comfort and fit? All options are on the table... wrap around jacket, back inflate, as well as possibly a BP&W option.

I know a lot has to do with personal preference, but feedback from the ladies is much appreciated.

Thanks.
My suggestion would be to go to a store and try them on. I am an instructor and I did that when I bought my last BCD because they are always making changing. The one I bought last year that I love is a Zena Zeagle, you can buy the back and front pieces in different sizes. It has may ways to adjust for a perfect fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom