Question for Big Island residents or recent visitors.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Have been keeping up on the threads related to the Big Island since I knew I was going back but wanted to see if I could get any other current info from the few people who reside there or recent visitors. I'm staying at Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa for a couple of weeks and leave next week.

I emailed 4 different dive ops - 2 got back to me (Blue Wilderness and Kohala Divers) and 2 didn't. One of the 2 who didn't is who I'd like to ask about. Richard Brown who was maybe with Puako Dive Company at one time, received high marks on SB, but didn't get back to me. Anyone know if he is still in business.

Also appreciate any info anyone has on Blue Wilderness and/or Kohala Divers.

Kohala Divers and Blue Wilderness are both solid outfits. Kohala Divers has a really fancy, roomy boat, while Blue Wilderness uses a RIB. The RIB is a little rustic—no head, a bit cramped—but is faster, getting you to the dive sites quickly—and more fun. Divemasters are pretty much comparable between the two.

Know nothing about Richard Brown.

I dove with Big Island Divers recently and I would highly recommend them.

I have no experience with the others.

Kohala Divers would be my recommendation. I only dove with Richard once about 4 years ago. He is a solo outfit and (at the time) he was working multiple gigs. I think he took the afternoon off from some construction work too take us diving. Great guy, but it took us a while to contact/reach him.If you are set on diving Puako with a guide, you could probably get a DM from Kohala Divers. If you want to try and reach Richard, maybe check with the General Store in Puako. He was living above it back then. Sorry, I don't have more recent info.

Melissa

As mentioned in my original post, I'm staying in the Waikoloa area. Although I liked diving in the Kona area when we were there a few years back (dove with Jack's Diving Locker based on the recommendation of a resident who is a friend of a family member), I don't want to drive that far everyday that I'm going to dive.

One of the benefits of SB is being able to get specific info. In this case, info about specific dive ops. Thanks @peterak and @diving4ever - just the type of info I wanted. After making contact with several dive ops, following is some info for anyone else who may be planning a trip to the Big Island.

Blue Wilderness has a listed price for a 2 tank morning dive at $140, but has a 10 boat trip package for $1096.61, taxes included. My buddy and I can split the cost/package ($548.30 each) which works out to be $109.66 a day for 5 days. Four days with them would be $476 with a 15% discount + taxes or $119 + tax a day. They offer a 10% discount on 3 days of diving, $126 + tax a day. They take up to 12 divers on their RIB, something I've never had the "pleasure" to dive from. They leave from the Puako boat ramp.

By comparison, for 3 days or more with Kohala Divers at $154 a day, a 10% discount would be applied to make every day of diving $138.60 + taxes. They have a 46' Newton that is capable of taking 36 divers, but they limit it to 18. They leave from Kawaihae Harbor.

Where Oh Where: Sounds like a little too much effort to try and locate the person I'd heard about, although he may still be around.

One dive op did not get back to me. Can't remember if I used their on-line contact form or their email address - not trusting emails to go through 100% of the time, I should have tried to contact them again, but didn't.

Haven't completely decided on the op yet, but am excited that we will be there in a few days!

As mentioned in my original post, I'm staying in the Waikoloa area.

Haven't completely decided on the op yet, but am excited that we will be there in a few days!

The water has been great lately. Our dives yesterday at Miloli'i Pier had some of the smoothest water we've seen all year. Enjoy your trip.

As mentioned in my original post, I'm staying in the Waikoloa area. Although I liked diving in the Kona area when we were there a few years back (dove with Jack's Diving Locker based on the recommendation of a resident who is a friend of a family member), I don't want to drive that far everyday that I'm going to dive.

One of the benefits of SB is being able to get specific info. In this case, info about specific dive ops. Thanks @peterak and @diving4ever - just the type of info I wanted. After making contact with several dive ops, following is some info for anyone else who may be planning a trip to the Big Island.

Blue Wilderness has a listed price for a 2 tank morning dive at $140, but has a 10 boat trip package for $1096.61, taxes included. My buddy and I can split the cost/package ($548.30 each) which works out to be $109.66 a day for 5 days. Four days with them would be $476 with a 15% discount + taxes or $119 + tax a day. They offer a 10% discount on 3 days of diving, $126 + tax a day. They take up to 12 divers on their RIB, something I've never had the "pleasure" to dive from. They leave from the Puako boat ramp.

By comparison, for 3 days or more with Kohala Divers at $154 a day, a 10% discount would be applied to make every day of diving $138.60 + taxes. They have a 46' Newton that is capable of taking 36 divers, but they limit it to 18. They leave from Kawaihae Harbor.

Where Oh Where: Sounds like a little too much effort to try and locate the person I'd heard about, although he may still be around.

One dive op did not get back to me. Can't remember if I used their on-line contact form or their email address - not trusting emails to go through 100% of the time, I should have tried to contact them again, but didn't.

Don't forget to check your spam folder for replies that you are expecting, but have never received.

Several times I have become annoyed about not receiving a reply and then, there it is in my spam folder.

Don't forget to check your spam folder for replies that you are expecting, but have never received.
Several times I have become annoyed about not receiving a reply and then, there it is in my spam folder.

Thanks for the tip. I check it all of the time. I organize a couple of tennis groups and send out up to 5 group emails 3 times a week. I ask for replies to these emails so check my junk email several times a day.

A stranger thing is that some of those group emails have the same people in them and a few of those people will get one of my emails in their junk folder and another will go through fine. Weird stuff!

Hi,

I have dived with Kohala Divers several times. They were excellent. We stay in Kailua, but like to drive up to the Puako area for an occasional dive with Kohala. If you feel like heading to Kailua, try Pacific Rim Divers; they are wonderful.

Joe

IMG_0272.jpg

the Puako area

Was your pic from the Puako area. Saw this one when we were diving with Blue Wilderness last Oct. Like your color better than mine - probably shouldn't have played with the editing so much!

DSCI3053.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom