Question for cave certfied DMs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

windapp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Would you leed an OW diver into a relatively safe cavern, after briefing him/her on how to follow the guide line with you as the line handler?

If it was a cavern specifically set up for open water divers (Ginnie ballroom or Paradise Springs) and they are comfortable and competent divers that have signed a waiver, have been thoroughly briefed and know what they are getting into then yes. Otherwise, the answer would be HELL NO!

Not on your life (or mine) for that matter. I am not a cave instructor & I do not have the knowledge, skills or experience to get an untrained diver out of a dangerous situation in an overhead environment, if it should arise. Most of these divers trust their guides implicitly to get them out safely. Cave(rn) instuctors have those skills. Even the most innocuous cave(rn) has risks. What seems safe & what is safe are completely different things.

I'd be interested to here from cave instructors as well.
When a cavern student does dives for the class, at that point they are still just open water certified. A cave instructor is considered to be qualified to supervise their diving in that environment, just as an open water instructor is qualified to supervise uncertified divers.

Absolutely not.

Enroll them in a cavern class! Not a Cavern or Cave instructor, then don't even think about it!!!

Liability of course is huge, but really this is a matter of RISK to ALL.

I would simply reply "NO" - however replies must be at least 5 characters long, so, well... you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom