Question from member wishing to remain anonymous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I received a PM this morning from a member that wished this to be posted here anonymously:

What is Scubaboard's policy on dive ops/resorts creating fraudulent Scubabord profiles and posting un-objective, dishonest advice and recommendations on Scubaboard? Particularly, recommendations for their own dive op/resort, that are posted under the guise of being a helpful diver/Scubaboard member, not an owner or employee of the dive op.

Since I am posting this for the member I will refrain from answering. If this member would like to post anything in reply to any future posts, I will do so on that member's behalf.

I'd also like to invite members to weigh-in with their opinions on what ScubaBoard's policy should be.

Anonymous posting on a internet chat board? Is that allowed?

Phil Ellis
Fair, Objective, and Balanced

I received a PM this morning from a member that wished this to be posted here anonymously:

What is Scubaboard's policy on dive ops/resorts creating fraudulent Scubabord profiles and posting un-objective, dishonest advice and recommendations on Scubaboard? Particularly, recommendations for their own dive op/resort, that are posted under the guise of being a helpful diver/Scubaboard member, not an owner or employee of the dive op.

Since I am posting this for the member I will refrain from answering. If this member would like to post anything in reply to any future posts, I will do so on that member's behalf.

I'd also like to invite members to weigh-in with their opinions on what ScubaBoard's policy should be.

I think we 're talking about the same poster here.I've invited him to hit the "report"button
so let's see if any thing happens.

I think we 're talking about the same poster here.I've invited him to hit the "report"button
so let's see if any thing happens.

He just did.

And I'll look into it.

That is odd. Ask to remain anonymous and then go and post a thread :huh:

Phil, Yes you can ask something be posted anonymously. Doc has always said that if one feels uncomfortable making a post/asking a question to let him know and as long as it was legitimate he would post it.

Can I just have a sock puppet? That will make it much easier. :wink:

Then, I could post things like........

"darn, that divesports is just amazing" or "wow, the service at divesports.com is better than anywhere else in the universe!"

Just having fun guys.

Phil Ellis
Open and Up Front

I would say that the particular "helpful poster" would have to be booted...if for nothing else than for a lack of integrity. it is a shame "

to creating fraudulent Scubabord profiles and posting un-objective, dishonest advice and recommendations on Scubaboard? Particularly, recommendations for their own dive op/resort, that are posted under the guise of being a helpful diver/Scubaboard member, not an owner or employee of the dive op."

If you are looking to promote your own store or somthing, then do it...but do it openly. You can however post objectivly and own a store or product...but too many people will do just what is being asked by "anonymous". If you own a store or product and you are giving advice that is either not factual or (worse yet) a lie, you deserve the demise of your store...well at least a huge reprimand from a good mod on this board.

I say we have a policy of "intergrity first" sales second....

Narced_1

I'm confused. You mean some people are dishonest?

Outing someone would be a worse, and possibly more deserved, punishment than just booting them. Of course some of the cases are just so pathetically obvious it's maybe not necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom