Question from member wishing to remain anonymous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be sure, there are certain policies in place when this happens. However, I am with Ann Marie here... I would like to hear what my fellow ScubaBoardians would like us to do with these individuals when they are ferreted out.

Pete, honestly, on a board like this one where anonomity is not only allowed, but expected, I see NO way that you could develop a logical rule that prohibits the practice of "posing" as someone other than who you are. After all, by definition, that is almost what is expected.

Readers who have been here for a while know how to protect themselves from opinion information that might be shaded by relationships. Those so new to all of this as to not know can't be protected in the first place. One of the perils of anonymous internet chat boards.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

As I said. It depends on circumstances. Sometimes it's done from ignorance while other times the reason is far more malicious. Sometimes we delete the sockpuppet outright, and some times we merge it with the initial account. We try not to make hasty decisions without figuring out motives.

But the real point of the thread is to see what ScubaBoardians want us to do with these miscreants.

That makes sense. For the record, this ScubaBoardian thinks that a policy equally applied is a good and fair policy.

I'm guessing that one means of ferreting out the offenders is logged IP addresses?

Pete, honestly, on a board like this one where anonomity is not only allowed, but expected, I see NO way that you could develop a logical rule that prohibits the practice of "posing" as someone other than who you are. After all, by definition, that is almost what is expected.
We protect the identity of many people on this board, but that doesn't mean that anonymity is "expected".

That being said, anonymity is tolerated here and for good reason. Many are afraid of the internet and worry about giving out too much information. Right or wrong, we respect that fear and enable them to approach divers here on their own terms.

However, I have little patience for fraudulent or malicious use of this resource. While some may have a legitimate ignorance of how to do things here, others are out to injure the reputation and livelihood of others. We just don't think that this is friendly and we will censor and/or censure them accordingly.
DiverBry:
I'm guessing that one means of ferreting out the offenders is by means of logged IP addresses?
Depending on the severity, we have many tools available to us. Quite often when a user thinks they have penetrated our defenses, they have no idea of what we are capable of. You simply can't spoof a MAC address. :)

Fairy, Am I to assume you don't think the SB mods have sock puppets? :huh:

Well, it's never been obvious to me. Like I never caught anyone pushing a particular agenda. But then again, I don't pay too much attention to threads that get too long. Adult onset ADD and CRS, you know.:rofl3:

I didn't spend my entire day yesterday sitting in front of my computer, monitoring scubaboard for your PMs!

:rofl3:He prolly confused u with a great many of us here who are addicts. :) Know that a good addict would be checking their pm's :wink:

from a personal point of view..... ive always found that SB'ers have great BS detectors and usually sniff out anything not legit

cheers
ITA. :bang:

Well, it's never been obvious to me. Like I never caught anyone pushing a particular agenda. But then again, I don't pay too much attention to threads that get too long. Adult onset ADD and CRS, you know.:rofl3:

I was going to say that I think they do but Doc already confirmed that they do in fact have sock-puppets. You prolly don't notice them because here on SB they aren't allowed to be used to cause trouble or for anything negative really.

BTW, I don't know why :)54:)but I am getting some of those aging problems as well :confused:

BTW, I don't know why :)54:)but I am getting some of those aging problems as well :confused:
:11:You? You're way tooo young for that honey. Unless you're pregnant. That's when it all begins.:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom