Question from member wishing to remain anonymous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like their motive would need to be the deciding factor. If they just did a few posts of self promotion while posting on a topic and didn't understand the rules then a bit of education would seem to be the answer.

Bashing a competitor or other malicious activity while using a sockpuppet- get rid of em!

It is a benefit to have the folks from the manufacturers, dive shops and agencies here so we can get information directly from them about what's going on in the industry. To me being able to talk to those folks directly is a great way to get information.

While sometimes difficult to discern the motive is the key to deciding their fate in my opinion.

You know, I have to say, I don't know that I'd be advertising that mods can have sock-puppets. :ne_nau:
That's because we are pretty transparent in all we do. I mean, since we are taking over the world, we might as well be upfront about it. We don't want anyone to be surprised when it happens. Truth isn't the just the best policy: it's the ONLY policy. :O

To be sure, there are certain policies in place when this happens. However, I am with Ann Marie here... I would like to hear what my fellow ScubaBoardians would like us to do with these individuals when they are ferreted out.

If the activity they are engaging in is malicious or hurtful, expose them for what they are. Humiliation is a great equalizer. :palmtree: Bob

A sock puppet used for testing is a sock puppet in name only, not in spirit.

To be sure, there are certain policies in place when this happens. However, I am with Ann Marie here... I would like to hear what my fellow ScubaBoardians would like us to do with these individuals when they are ferreted out.

Simple. "Out them".

Expose them for what they are doing and let them wither away with their tail between their legs...

I wonder if these types actually consider the risk they are running? I mean, if you were to be dectected, which it seems most are, the negative repercussions are going to far outweigh anything positive that this type of nefarious posting might gain you.

Besides outing them, maybe there could be a public flogging?

I think a public swearing-out ceremony is sufficient.

I don't think there should be a policy for sock puppets outside of the standard TOS. There's a reason why personally identifiable information such as email, real names, birthdays, etc. are hidden (or hideable) on SB. If a sock puppet is being harmless or helpful, who cares. If they're intentionally giving deceitful or defamatory information, they should be dealt with in the same manner as non-sock puppet accounts.

Back
Top Bottom