Question on Aruba in December/January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everybody! Going to Aruba around New Year's. I'm looking for info on water temp, viz and wind (wind is for when you're on the beach, as my wife doesn't dive) at that time of the year. We're staying at the Amsterdam Manor.

Any tip greatly appreciated.

Water temp in Aruba can vary from 76 - 84F with the lower temp. likely at New Years. Viz ranges from 20 to 100 ft. depending on current and wind. Usually, the wind is a constant 15 Knots. Diving is usually best in the southern locations (better viz) though occaisionally the chop is bad enough to discourage many divers. Diving at the north end is more tame with lower viz and more crowds. Dive operators are mostly all good but if they get overloaded (you're going at the height of the season) they can't keep up with the best of service. I've used Red Sails and Pelican Divers and am very satisfied with both, though every now and then someone slams them for rudeness or lack of service - usually during the height of the season.

Bon Bini and enjoy

DavidE:doctor:

15 knots! Is that on the water? Are the beaches at all protected from the wind?:(

The wind is all over the island and goes from the southeast to the northweat. 15knots is typical and all the beaches have Palm trees for protection. The hotels also are built to provide some shield from the wind. The wind is constant enough to cause some trees to bend (Divi-divi trees) and the joke is that you can't get lost on the island, even in the most remote location 'cause the Divi-divi trees point toward your hotel.

(I probably should have said 8 to 15 knots.) The wind is usually not too objectionable since it stops the heat from being oppressive (Temp is 75 at night, 87 ± 5 during the day.)

Aruba is also a world class wind surfing location.

DavidE:doctor:

...it pretty much spot on. We've been to Aruba twice: once in April and once in June. FWIW, water temp in April of 2001 was 72F...a bit chilly for the 3 mil shorty I had on.

But DavidE is right about the wind: it keeps the heat and humidity from being too oppressive. But just be sure you and the wife aren't too picky about your hair style....it tends to look like the divi-divi trees after a while.

If you've not been to Aruba before, you're gonna love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom