Question on Housing for Lumix Zs7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude,
So you don't use the diffuser thingy anymore?

No. There is no way to hang a diffuser. The flash on zs7 is tiny and the housing + the fiber optic connector blocks quite a bit of the flash. I haven't tried this uw yet but I got the idea from the INON connector for this housing. It also doesn't have any blocking for the internal flash.

If I find that backscatter is too much then I will fashion a simple blocker using thin PVC sheet and fix it to the connector.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. FYI... if you already have a fiber optic cable you can buy just the W35 adapter. Reef Photo sells it for $30.

I just adapted the diffuser to take a generic velcro attachment end. I used some double sided sticky foam/tape. 3M makes it but I don't know what it's called (I had a bunch laying around at work). I cut the foam to fit completely over the diffuser and cut a hole in it to match the hole on the velcro attachment. It seems secure..... tests will be coming next week.

UPDATE: Adapting the sync cord to the diffuser allows the strobe to fire... but the Sea and Sea TTL doesn't work through it. It seems to work fine when I hold the cord directly over where the flash fires. I'm making a couple of vimaldude adapters before I head out diving at the end of the month.

Thanks again vim!

Ive also made a couple of bodged adapters to copy the Inon W35 adapter as I couldnt be sure I could get one delivered before I leave for Egypt.... that and I love experimenting.
Definately need to do something to block more of the onboard flash though as with the adapter in the way the onboard flash gives really uneven lighting. Had thought of just attaching to the front of the diffuser by trimming down the Sea+Sea grommet, but since I have the Inon lens mount the diffuser has to come off anyways.
Any ideas for cutting down the onboard flash ?
Moose

Ive also made a couple of bodged adapters to copy the Inon W35 adapter as I couldnt be sure I could get one delivered before I leave for Egypt.... that and I love experimenting.
Definately need to do something to block more of the onboard flash though as with the adapter in the way the onboard flash gives really uneven lighting. Had thought of just attaching to the front of the diffuser by trimming down the Sea+Sea grommet, but since I have the Inon lens mount the diffuser has to come off anyways.
Any ideas for cutting down the onboard flash ?
Moose

How about simple black electrical tape? Cheap and disposable.

Crude but effective I suppose
Got some spare velcro from masking off my Fuji so will try cut a template with that.
I find TTL (on land) a little unreliable, especially if i turn the lights out and put the focus light on to simulate a night dive, but otherwise it seems like a fine pairing.
An option would also be some of the Clear Photo System film, ive tried with exposed camera film but it gives things a pink tinge. I can now see why people love TTL on SLRs, not having to worry about the onboard flash !
Moose

ps. its easy enough to adapt vimals idea for the sea+sea fibre optic. Dont cut the split in the bolt, just drill down the middle, put the first nut on, then drill out the top nut so the fibre sits in the top similar to the inon cap

Back
Top Bottom