Question on SD vs HD for amateur videographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK PF, you've convinced me. I'll wait until Scarlet comes out and get it, build a case, make some underwater video lights, and film a full-length picture U/W. :wink: J/K

What you are saying about the Scarlet does sound amazing and I very well might wait until it comes out. Since I only dive on vacations (two 3-4 week vacations per year), it does make sense for me to dive more and be extremely comfortable before I introduce another variable into the equation. But, by the time the Scarlet comes out, I should be at the point where I will have no problems with bringing a camcorder. (Whether I am any good at shooting video is a whole 'nother question.)

I do live on an island, Diego Garcia, that is pristine, but we are not allowed to dive here. I can take the camcorder snorkeling and free diving, though. So, it will get more use than just vacations.

Honestly, I would not wait until Scarlet comes along. Do what I did. Get an inexpensive setup, and learn to shoot with it. Just don't drop a king's ransom on something that you'll upgrade in short order.

My best suggestions would be.

1. Get an HV20 or something similar, an inexpensive housing, and the best lights you can afford.
2. Wait until Christmas, get the new Panasonic camera with a housing and the best lights you can afford.
3. Buy a complete miniDV setup from someone who's upgrading to HD now, and have fun.

Scarlet may NEVER have underwater capability. We just don't know. It may prove to have other issues. My sights are set on it, because I think I can shoot enough projects in the first year to have it pay for itself. That is what is happening with the RED guys now. They are trying to earn enough money to have the camera pay for itself.

If you really feel like dumping money into a camera NOW and don't want a lot of the present limitations, then buy a used HVX200 and a housing, and the best lights you can get. It'll be expensive, but you'll come home with some GREAT footage. And that camera is great in low(ish) light.

From all the reading I have been doing on here, it seems there is no consensus on the lighting necessary for video (I may be confusing it with the still camera lighting also). What do you suggest for lighting for tropical, clear-water daytime locations? I will be shooting mainly at Diego, since that is where I live (even though I will not be diving, just snorkeling/free-diving). But other places are Cancun/Cozumel, Florida, Thailand, etc. All locations are mainly clear water.

From all the reading I have been doing on here, it seems there is no consensus on the lighting necessary for video (I may be confusing it with the still camera lighting also). What do you suggest for lighting for tropical, clear-water daytime locations? I will be shooting mainly at Diego, since that is where I live (even though I will not be diving, just snorkeling/free-diving). But other places are Cancun/Cozumel, Florida, Thailand, etc. All locations are mainly clear water.

to some extent it depends. (sorry)
Generally, the advice is "Get the biggest lights you can afford" however that works well mainly
- inside dark caves
- inside dark wrecks
- on dark reefs

Even the most powerful video lights (I have dual 50W HID) are not going to penetrate very far onto a reef (maybe you get 10 feet of "good" lighting) so if you shoot wide-angle, then the lights will only be able to help in the immediate foreground (to illuminate a diver or bring color back to the reef)

So for tropical clear waters I think it's a much harder decision. Unfortunately for you, I dont do those kind of dives really so I dont have much concrete advice. If you want to put some colors into the foreground, good lights may be a necessity. If you are happy with the colors you can fix up in post, and can shoot toward the sky and get ambient light, lights may be of a more marginal benefit to you.

If this helps any, I'll tell you my plans for lighting.

I have a 21w HID Salvo can light that I could press into service simply by getting a video reflector for it. But I'm not going to do that right away.

Instead, I have two UK Light Canon HIDs (that's 2x 10w HID) that are collecting dust in my closet ever since I got the Salvo. With a pair of Ikelite mounts for them and the diffusers in place, they actually do a very decent job. (I have good quality NiMH rechargable 6000 mah C cells to power them.)

See: Socaldivevideos.com for my inspiration on this. That guy does some great work with that lighting setup!

If this helps any, I'll tell you my plans for lighting.

I have a 21w HID Salvo can light that I could press into service simply by getting a video reflector for it. But I'm not going to do that right away.

Instead, I have two UK Light Canon HIDs (that's 2x 10w HID) that are collecting dust in my closet ever since I got the Salvo. With a pair of Ikelite mounts for them and the diffusers in place, they actually do a very decent job. (I have good quality NiMH rechargable 6000 mah C cells to power them.)

See: Socaldivevideos.com for my inspiration on this. That guy does some great work with that lighting setup!

I found that locally (SoCal, PNW) and caves, 2x24W HID's were not cutting it.
the 50's are better but still not "light up the entire ocean"
I will try them in the caves in 2 weeks for the first time.
They do tend to blow out the foreground though...

EDIT: I shoot almost no closeup stuff and far prefer wide-angle.
So for closeups, I am not the best person to speak to ---

I am more of a "lets see if we can light up the whole place and get it on film" than "Hey, look at that 2mm long seahorse that only 3 of still exist, lets watch it and video its cool behaviors"

Yes, the more wide angle you want to do, the more light you need to throw around... and that need goes up drastically every few feet you pull back!

Looking at Mike's work, though, I'd be happy if I could churn out vids like his, and the 2x 10w HIDs seem to be doing him just fine. Since I already have them, that's where I'll start. Some of us are on a budget. :wink: If I need more later, I'll look into adapting my Salvo 21w HID.

At that point, if that's not enough, either my budget issues will be resolved or I'll have to decide that video isn't something I can afford to undertake!

.... What do you suggest for lighting for tropical, clear-water daytime locations? .....

For some reason this question has been popping up a lot lately.

I'm just a hobbyist, but IMHO, the answer is easy...

A UrPro filter for standard and wide angle shots is best for tropical clear water daytime shooting.

Watch some video shot in conditions like this and most likely it was shot without lights and a filter.

Watching video and then asking questions on what it took to get the shot is always my recommendation. People can debate back and forth verbally and in writing, but what your eyes see will often answer your questions.

Back
Top Bottom