Question on TACA and Aggressor luggage tags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having had the first hand experience of being separated from my checked bag for 3 days thanks to TACA, trying to do everything possible to avoid the experience.

Read all the archives and know to check it to connecting airport and re-check again and ask for it to be designated as "priority"

We booked the TACA portion through Aggressor and they give us Aggressor luggage tags.

Question is - do you think putting those tags on the bags would do more harm than good? I don't really want my bag sitting there and screaming "Steal me", but on the other hand, if those tags help in getting the bag to Roatan at the same time with the owner, i'd take that chance

Any sugessions, experiences?

Vlada

As I understand it, the main problem with TACA losing bags has to do with 1) short connections with major airlines and 2) small planes connecting from small mainland cities such as San Pedro Sula and Belize City. You have already taken care of the first one if you plan to check to the connecting city. The only thing I can tell you on the second, is try to get a direct flight to Roatan from the US if you can, and if you can't, pack very light. The major problem seems to be weight restrictions on the smaller planes they use, so the heaviest looking bags will be the ones they leave behind. Definately pack regs and anything critical in your carryon, but do whatever else you can to check a smaller lighter bag. The aggressor tags will help with customs, and might help it stay on the plane if the TACA employees know what it means. However, looking small and light will probably do a lot more to help.

Good luck and have a blast!

AggieDiver

The "steal me" concern with regard to an Aggressor tag is not without its validity, but the concern most likely exists with regard to your domestic airport, rather than San Pedro Sula, La Ceiba, or Roatan. Let's face it, when a big heavy duffle hits San Pedro Sula or La Ceiba and has a end destination of Roatan, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out that it might be dive gear. When it hits Roatan, you can practically watch them unload the luggage from the plane and feed it on to the conveyor.

From my experience, the bigger concern is baggage left back in the states because the plane is already overloaded with the luggage that didn't make it the day before! Which leads to the strategy of (a) taking only 2 bags total per person - one as carry-on and one checked in at the ticket desk; (b) making your checked luggage piece as light as possible (and, conversely, your carry-on as heavy as possible) so as to make it less likely to be held back on account of weight, (c) asking that your one checked piece be marked as "priority" because of your cruise; (d) making sure that you and your buddy check in separately so that one piece per traveller gets tagged as "priority," rather than just one piece between the two of you; and (e) planning on your checked luggage still not arriving anyway!

the amount of photogear that we have with us as carry on, and the weight of it, everything else goes in checked luggage, so will just cross fingers and hope the bags make it

Thanks again

Vlada

I just got back a few weeks ago from Roatan. The best advice, book the jet from Houston to Roatan. It apparently only flies on Saturday, so plan accordingly.

The alternative is some rickety prop jobs from San Pedro. You get herded between places as you change planes. Its not pretty, and its very warm.

On the bag issue, I did carry on for all my dive gear. I refuse to use boat gear. I did add a swim suit for modesty sake. I figured I could always wash stuff out in the rinse tank if it got really bad :) Of course, I didn't have a lot of camera gear, mostly just my dive gear (BC, fins, mask, ADS).

I checked all of my other stuff. And everything from our group showed up just fine. One couple oddly who came in from Houston on the jet, lost their luggage.

One suggestion that someone made that makes sense, is to make sure you have as much time between flights as possible. If necessary, spend the night in Houston. Also have your flight end in Houston as far as bags are concerned, pick them up yourself and check them at Taca. I'm not sure that was worth the effort, but at least you know where they are, particularly if you do the overnight stay.

One other thing I learned on a previous trip. Two smaller checked bags are more likely to get on the plane than one large checked bag. Even if the total weight is the same.

Oh, coming back, don't wash your gear, get it really stinky. It speeds up the luggage check if they open it. :) Also, no batteries in your lights.

The advantage to the Aggressor tags is that it makes the porters job easier, they can just look for the tags, it probably speeds things up a little bit when you get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom