Question open to all DMC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great feedback on this thread as well as all the pm’s! During our DMT program we ask all the candidates a few basic questions on what they thought they would get out of the program... What they liked ... What they didn’t like... AND what we should definately not change. The feedback is great and we do take alot of it very seriously! Hoping to strengthen our own program, we follow up with quite a few DMs to let them know we have improved or implemented their ideas. It’s a great letter to add to their CV’s or resume’s. (just an idea) But we’d love to hear what you loved about your own program. What you would have changed and what you found to be the best part! Maybe we can all get something from this. (please if you didnt like somthing about the program you were/are involved with... let us know BUT PLEASE we dont need to know the who, or where... this is to spark ideas not tempers)

My BSA Venture Crew needed a Divemaster to go diving as a BSA outing. I've undertaken the training to support the youth. This will make me a better diving supervisor, and overall leader, not to mention it is a lot of fun to be a student again.

All my prerequisites are 'ancient' (OW 1971, Senior Diver 1973, UC Santa Barbara diver/NAUI Advanced 1978, NAUI Rescue 1980). This has given me an opportunity to refresh and hone my skills. I'm retaking Rescue along with my DM. One real nice thing my instructor is doing is having me help (as part of my training) with my Crew's OW training. This will help both the youth and myself as we'll know each others strength/weakness better. Also I get to share their excitement as they explore the underwater world.

Currently I have no plans to use the DM rating for anything other than BSA/Youth support, I'm way too busy being a mother, physician assistant, and scout leader.

One thing I've found; life experience (paramedic, airline pilot, etc.), and complimentary training (whitewater guide, swiftwater rescue, etc.), is making this a breeze. Things you've done in life outside of diving have a tremendous impact on how things go in your DM training.

Challenge yourself and learn new things.

Back
Top Bottom