Question re: Bailout bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again - bailout only - you choose a redundant size for your diving and I will choose mine. Please don't assume my (or anyones) choice is uninformed. The difference in my choice is the tradeoff between size, weight and the level of risk we are willing to entertain.
I respect that and I am not saying you are wrong, I am just giving you my opinion. The value of public forums is you listen to everyone and then make up your own mind based on your own diving experience and knowledge. I have had my perspective changed a few times by comments posted from others.

Safe diving.

Cool - just been told by too many people that "I'm going to die".

Cool - just been told by too many people that "I'm going to die".
Of course, they've all been right. It's just the timing that's been off. Well, and the cause of death, almost certainly.

But you're still going to die... unless you're a Time Lord or vampire or you hear Queen music every time you get ready to go on a trip, but you're probably going to die... eventually. :D

Of course, they've all been right. It's just the timing that's been off. Well, and the cause of death, almost certainly.

But you're still going to die... unless you're a Time Lord or vampire or you hear Queen music every time you get ready to go on a trip, but you're probably going to die... eventually. :D

Yup, so you all better get out there and dive, I already have 5 dives lined up for this weekend so I don't miss out :D

That is my response - yep you're right - then go on doing whatever I was up to.

Again - bailout only - you choose a redundant size for your diving and I will choose mine. Please don't assume my (or anyones) choice is uninformed. The difference in my choice is the tradeoff between size, weight and the level of risk we are willing to entertain.

A good point.

If there is air I will do my safety stop, but I don't figure it in to the planning. At 60 feet a 13 cf might give you air to do a safety stop - at 100 not so much, but it will get you to the surface reasonably comfortably - skipping the safety stop.

My general philosophy is to include a Safety Stop when doing the planning for the product purchase decision. Afterall, a basic SS isn't all that long and by then, you should be calmed down (less bad), so the total required shouldn't be all that much.

If the SS actually gets performed depends on the specifics of the bailout on that day...if there's not enough gas, then you needed it someplace else, and it is a good thing that you had some 'extra' to use.

-hh

i would mount it beside my inflator but i rather not use a pony do to 1 simple fact i rather look at my air more often and not get lured into thinking im safe just because i have any back up. if you are really conserend dive doubles.. the trick with avoding geting tangled is to avoid kelp and seaweed..

As a courtesy to the readers, I took the liberty of translating your post before replying. If I introduced any errors, you have my humblest apologies.
I would mount it beside my inflator, but I'd rather not use a pony due to one simple fact: I'd rather look at my air more often and not get lured into thinking I'm safe just because I have a back up. If you are really concerned, dive doubles.
I dive with redundant air in order to have a backup supply with me should anything go wrong. I have *never* had to use my redundancy due to running out of air. It is only there so I can follow my preferred ascent plan in the event of sudden loss of access to breathable gas from my primary system(s). Looking at an SPG more often does absolutely nothing to address the situations addressed by my carrying redundancy.

As for the doubles, there is a high enough fiscal and physical barrier to diving doubles that I am not currently planning to go there any time soon. It is trivial to clip on 19cf, 30cf, or larger ponies and thereby gain access to more than ample redundancy to make even a much slower than normal ascent. (Also, my engineering degree means that I am required find it foolish to equate "more" with "better". Sure, you plan for contingencies, but if we built planes that *couldn't* crash, they also would not fly.)
The trick with avoiding getting tangled is to avoid kelp and seaweed.
Another trick is to simply not dive. You could even hijack a nuclear missile submarine and use some conventional torpedoes to wipe out all flora in the vicinity of your dive. The *best* way to avoid kelp, seaweed, monofilament, and all other entanglement dangers, of course, is to move to Belgium and do all your dives in nemo 33.

As a courtesy to the readers, I took the liberty of translating your post before replying. If I introduced any errors, you have my humblest apologies.

As for the doubles, there is a high enough fiscal and physical barrier to diving doubles that I am not currently planning to go there any time soon. It is trivial to clip on 19cf, 30cf, or larger ponies and thereby gain access to more than ample redundancy to make even a much slower than normal ascent. (Also, my engineering degree means that I am required find it foolish to equate "more" with "better". Sure, you plan for contingencies, but if we built planes that *couldn't* crash, they also would not fly.)

Another trick is to simply not dive. You could even hijack a nuclear missile submarine and use some conventional torpedoes to wipe out all flora in the vicinity of your dive.

The *best* way to avoid kelp, seaweed, monofilament, and all other entanglement dangers, of course, is to move to Belgium and do all your dives in nemo 33.

...........:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom