Question re: Various GoPro Hero Models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be doing Cavern (Cenote) Diving in Northern Mexico in February and would like to bring a camera with me.

I am a novice photographer at best and am considering the GoPro Hero3 White Edition ($200) or the GoPro Hero3 Silver Edition ($300).

Would appreciate any feedback on these models and whether the differences between these 2 are really significant.

Thanks in advance,

Sy

There's a whole GoPro forum on the Underwater Videography forum.

I cannot comprehend the popularity of GoPro for underwater. I guess it is the low cost. But I have yet to see any decent video or still pics from one. The most consistent thing I have heard is people accidentally turning their unit off instead of on when the interesting critter comes by. I guess that is what happens when you don't have any type of viewfinder.

If you are comfortable with your diving skills and buoyancy, I would suggest getting a compact Canon (i.e., S110 or S120) and a strobe. Shoots great stills and great video.

Fundamentally the Silver has twice the resolution of the White. So it's better for stills or later grabbing a still frame with an editor. The Silver also shoots 1080P/60fps vs. 1080P/30fps - twice the frames so smoother video. When I watch GoPro 1080P/30 videos - especially extreme sports - I see the difference in transitions - they appear temporarily to pause or are "blocky".

Back
Top Bottom