Question re: water in my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UODuckman2002

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My wife and I are doing our open water course at the end of the month, and since she has never used a mask and snorkel before, so we hit the pool so she could get used to it. I took mine as well, so she wouldn't "feel foolish," and while swimming about I noticed I was getting water in the nose "cup." I do have some stubble under my nose, and I hope that's why, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this, if my moustachioed brothers experience this, or could there be a fit problem?

My wife and I are doing our open water course at the end of the month, and since she has never used a mask and snorkel before, so we hit the pool so she could get used to it. I took mine as well, so she wouldn't "feel foolish," and while swimming about I noticed I was getting water in the nose "cup." I do have some stubble under my nose, and I hope that's why, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this, if my moustachioed brothers experience this, or could there be a fit problem?

Some can away with a mustache. I can't I clean shave before getting in the water.

I've heard Vaseline can help but cleaning that up is more trouble than it's worth for me.

If it just started and was fine before maybe stubble, I would guess if first time used and it did it, fit.

I can grow stubble and never have a problem with my mask whether shaved or not.

If it just started and was fine before maybe stubble, I would guess if first time used and it did it, fit.

I can grow stubble and never have a problem with my mask whether shaved or not.

Dang it, this was the first time I used the mask! I'll try it again with a tightened strap.

I've had a 'stache for several decades now, I just shave a 1/2 inch under my nose and use a close fitting mask. leakage problems solved. You will get the occasional leak but also your OW class will teach you how to clear your mask. Enjoy your class and welcome to the world of diving.

Some can away with a mustache. I can't I clean shave before getting in the water.

I've heard Vaseline can help but cleaning that up is more trouble than it's worth for me.
I need to learn their secret. I only shave once every one to two weeks.

I need to learn their secret. I only shave once every one to two weeks.

Shrug I said the same thing then just realized it's just different people's body.

You mentioned it was first time using that mask so it might be fit. I went through 6 mask each one passed the in shop test but leaked in the water. The only fix is try other mask, when you find the perfect one, buy 2.

more than likely because of the stubble...but it could just be a poor fitting mask.

a run a full beard most of the time and constantly battle with leaks.....there are a few ways to combat it however.

1) buy a mask that doesnt have much of a "lip" under the nose pocket
UDRMWAB_2.jpg

that will allow it to fit over any mustache you may have and i typically get a good seal this way........the down side, it is uncomfortable, because theres no "lip", it does press into your face and begin to hurt after a while

2) you can smear your upper lip with silicon grease, this helps the mask to seal against the mustache hairs and actually does a pretty good job.

3) you can just learn to live with a bit of water in your mask.....honestly thats what i do most of the time.....it really doesnt take much to clear a mask.

4) make sure you are clean shaven.

i would shave clean, then try the mask again......if its still leaking, you may need a different mask.

Back
Top Bottom