Question re: water in my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pros at my local dive shop signed off on it, and it certainly wasn't the most expensive mask so price wasn't a factor. Recommendations on fixing the fit?

Unfortunately, the way I was taught originally of "breath in and if the mask stays on your face" is simply wrong. This is what the vast majority of shops/instructors/divers will do to evaluate a mask.

The way to evaluate a mask properly is to have a snorkel in your mouth (to put your lips in the position that they would be when you have a reg in your mouth), tilt your head back, lay the mask on your face, and have someone look to see if there are any gaps.

With my big Greek nose, I can suck in hard enough to make all but the most ill fitting mask stay on my face. And those things will leak continuously underwater.

Only when evaluating with another person do I get proper fits.

And yes, buy two when you find one.

my advise....
if you grow a stache, let it all grow to the same length
use chap stik or similar to help seal
if you don't have a full stache then shave
mask strap should be as loose as possible
check the position of the strap on the back of your head. raising or lowering it will change how the mask seals on your face.
our shop lets people try multiple masks if necessary. if fit is an issue, try different shapes and sizes of masks til you find one that works .

In your open water class you will learn that it is just water you drink it through your nose every third breath or so so that it didn't build up and bother you.

I dove for a long time with a mask with a nose valve but found that I automaticly purge my mask without thinking about it with either mask. But I do get less leaks with my frame less mask.

more than likely because of the stubble...but it could just be a poor fitting mask.

a run a full beard most of the time and constantly battle with leaks.....there are a few ways to combat it however.

1) buy a mask that doesnt have much of a "lip" under the nose pocket
View attachment 645623

that will allow it to fit over any mustache you may have and i typically get a good seal this way........the down side, it is uncomfortable, because theres no "lip", it does press into your face and begin to hurt after a while

2) you can smear your upper lip with silicon grease, this helps the mask to seal against the mustache hairs and actually does a pretty good job.

3) you can just learn to live with a bit of water in your mask.....honestly thats what i do most of the time.....it really doesnt take much to clear a mask.

4) make sure you are clean shaven.

i would shave clean, then try the mask again......if its still leaking, you may need a different mask.
I do have an issue with getting a new mask, as I had prescription lenses put into the mask.

Unfortunately, the way I was taught originally of "breath in and if the mask stays on your face" is simply wrong. This is what the vast majority of shops/instructors/divers will do to evaluate a mask.

The way to evaluate a mask properly is to have a snorkel in your mouth (to put your lips in the position that they would be when you have a reg in your mouth), tilt your head back, lay the mask on your face, and have someone look to see if there are any gaps.

With my big Greek nose, I can suck in hard enough to make all but the most ill fitting mask stay on my face. And those things will leak continuously underwater.

Only when evaluating with another person do I get proper fits.

And yes, buy two when you find one.
Thank you. I have always been under the assumption that the "face suck" method was the way to go.
Can't advise about the moustache. Agree with tight strap but not too tight. The mask that fits me best was one O found diving in 2008. Not much peripheral vision, but never a leak. Yes, buy two if you find the perfect fit. Maybe if you say you'll buy two a shop may let you try a few in water?

Thank you. I have always been under the assumption that the "face suck" method was the way to go.
Can't advise about the moustache. Agree with tight strap but not too tight. The mask that fits me best was one O found diving in 2008. Not much peripheral vision, but never a leak. Yes, buy two if you find the perfect fit. Maybe if you say you'll buy two a shop may let you try a few in water?
Try the method I got from a dive shop manager. My wife's mask doesn't fit me, as I get small gaps on my cheeks. But if I press it in and inhale through my nose, it stays. Of course it leaks when I use it. Masks that pass the tilt head/no gaps test never leak. Unless I haven't shaved in a while.

My wife and I are doing our open water course at the end of the month, and since she has never used a mask and snorkel before, so we hit the pool so she could get used to it. I took mine as well, so she wouldn't "feel foolish," and while swimming about I noticed I was getting water in the nose "cup." I do have some stubble under my nose, and I hope that's why, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this, if my moustachioed brothers experience this, or could there be a fit problem?

I also have this problem. Tried a few masks and they would always leak. Over time I learned to live with the slow leak and just clear out my mask every few minutes. However, it was a definite distraction when first learning. The biggest help by far was shaving the very top upper edge of the mustache just under the lip by an 1/8 inch to give the mask some skin to rest against. Some guys have enough gap naturally ... I'm not one of them.

Some dives even a trusty old well-fit mask just won't seal right and you can't figure out why, then it's fine the next dive.

Apologies in advance for this tech-support level dumb question but: are you proficient at clearing water from the mask?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom