Question re: water in my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't tighten your straps, just makes things worse. Shave 0.5cm - 1/4" clean below your nose.

Clearing is easy. LOOK UP, slight finger pressure on the bridge of your nose, and exhale through your nose.

Yup I actually always have a a bit of water in my mask as easy to clear any fog with a quick swish. Any excess water just exhale from your nose the water will blow out.
I used to do that as well. Haven't had a mask fog once since I started using baby shampoo maybe 10 years ago. Even on 2nd dive without re-applying any.

I used to do that as well. Haven't had a mask fog once since I started using baby shampoo maybe 10 years ago. Even on 2nd dive without re-applying any.

I rarely get mask fogs I use toothpaste which seems to work well. But I still have that habit of keeping a bit of water sloshing around until I want to go head down feet up good idea not to have water running into your nostrils then lol

I often do not shave on dive vacations so may arrive with one day of stubble and leave with some growth after two weeks. Mask leaks or fog ups seems not to occur when you dive 3 or 4 times a day.

You could try this:
.s3.amazonaws.com%2F21%2Fa3%2F64cdd81123926f51acd4a5b9a386%2Fla-1546454772-3nzrxtu69e-snap-image.jpg
840 × 630

I started shaving for similar reasons ti what you've described.

I've also been told that a little silicone grease on the mustache can do the trick

I have an older Magnum mask with guage readers that I have been using for a number of years. I tried several masks before making my choice. I find there is a sweet spot in terms of mask placement - with or without a moustache - where everything works just fine. Have done the shave beneath the nose routine as well. Ultimately, though, it is all about the fit.

I have a full beard and mustache and I had the same issue. Mask fits fine, but the stache and stubble was the problem. Trimmed a small amount under my nose to improve the fit and used beard balm to help the seal. The high wax content worked well to minimize the problem. Still needed to purge the mask on occasion, but much better.

Since I haven't seen it already brought up, if this is a new mask, you need to make sure you treat it before properly using it. Masks often come with a thin film of silicone on the inside of the mask that needs to me removed or it will never stop fogging. There are many ways to do this, from an abrasive toothpaste to burning with a lighter that you can look up.

I had the same problem when I started, and I have finally just conceded that I will have to shave before a dive. I leave a disposable razor in my mask case in case I forgot before I get to the boat. It makes the dives much, much more enjoyable for me.

I have to shave when I go diving, otherwise I have a slow mask leak the entire dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom