Question re: water in my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My cure is fairly simple. If I’m making one or two dives, I use the silicone on my mustache method. If I’m diving on a long trip, think liveaboard, I just shave my mustache off. I’m Italian, and it grows back fast.

Mustache wax, cheap and effective. And it washes out easy. Or... get a better mask. My 1st one was a pain. I would trim to skin at the upper part, use wax and it would 'usually' work. I switched to a frameless silicone and don't do anything, works. I might need to clear a tiny bit, and that would probably go away if I tightened the strap a bit.

Well count yourself lucky that you are figuring this out as early as you are.

My story shows the benefits of an experienced local dive shop employee, in this case the owner. Before I took up scuba 1 year ago I was preparing for a Hawaii Big Island trip which my wife and I did snorkeling for the first time. I walk into this LDS and tell her my goals. Without me knowing it she is studying the shape of my face. Even though I am 6 foot 2 she put me in a Scubapro Spectra Mini which is a child's mask. I have a narrow bony face.

Well I did my confined water in that mask. But the dive instructor had a bifocal mask and I thought I needed that to read my computer and gauges. So I got a generic bifocal mask which I used for my first 6 months and 65 dives.

Did I tell you I had persistent leak problems? Hard to improve in diving if you're worried about your mask flooding.

I was down in Key Largo when I said screw it I can't go on like this, drove to a South MIami LDS and bought another Spectra Mini (the closest shop that had one in stock). I have +2.0 bifocals but I can read my gauges fine.

Problem solved and I am very grateful to that LDS owner who could read peoples faces.

My wife and I are doing our open water course at the end of the month, and since she has never used a mask and snorkel before, so we hit the pool so she could get used to it. I took mine as well, so she wouldn't "feel foolish," and while swimming about I noticed I was getting water in the nose "cup." I do have some stubble under my nose, and I hope that's why, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this, if my moustachioed brothers experience this, or could there be a fit problem?
Use a small amount of food grade silicone around the lip section. Problem solved.

Use a small amount of food grade silicone around the lip section. Problem solved.

some good thick snot will work.....or chap stick.....your choice. haha

some good thick snot will work.....or chap stick.....your choice. haha
Hahaha!

Though if you always have snot available, you may want to speak to your doctor about that!

I also have a full beard and actually have no problem with water running into my mask. Did you have your regulator in your mouth when you bought your mask? The face shape changes a bit and that can of course also be a reason why a mask is not 100% tight.

No reg in my mouth. I’m quickly discovering that it was a mistake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom