Question: Rec mode MOD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a question regarding MOD on rec mode with Perdix ai. It seem that the computer does not give actual MOD ppO2 1.6 at FO2 .21. The computer gives a max depth of 50m rather than 66.1m. I am curious about the computer, not agency standards. Perhaps my setting are incorrect.

Edited as Perdix

Last edited:
I am assuming you are talking about the Perdix AI, not the Petrel? I am not aware of an air integrated Petrel version.
When in OC REC mode, the MOD shown on my computer is 130ft. Firmware v44.

I vaguely recall seeing this question in another thread not long ago. I think the answer is as Sevenrider observed: in Rec mode, the generally accepted maximum OW depth overrides or serves as a limit on the actual MOD as far as what the computer displays.

also note that the MOD on the Shearwaters will only cause the computer to flash, it's not going to lock you out or stop working....

I understand the safety concerns and rec limits. Shearwater designs computers for divers and does not provide annoying alarms or lockouts, so why not provide the correct MOD, not the accepted rec limit.

I understand the safety concerns and rec limits. Shearwater designs computers for divers and does not provide annoying alarms or lockouts, so why not provide the correct MOD, not the accepted rec limit.

If it were to behave the same way as it does in Tec mode, why bother having a Rec mode? I can't speak for Shearwater, but it's my understanding that Rec mode is aimed at people who want a little more guidance on their screen to help them stay within rec limits.

The product does do that. If you don't want recreational limits, take it out of recreational mode.

The product does do that. If you don't want recreational limits, take it out of recreational mode.

Clearly I am in the minority, but many of us like the rec mode interface for diving, but would like to show actual MOD or even specify our GF. Even a Suunto, shows actual MOD with a specified ppO2. One solution to “protect” divers, add this feature via advanced setting. In the spirit of Scubaboard safety standards, perhaps a diver will have to input their C2/T2 certs to allow this to happen.

Last edited:
Clearly I am in the minority, but many of us like the rec mode interface for diving, but would like to show actual MOD or even specify our GF. Even a Suunto, shows actual MOD with a specified ppO2. One solution to “protect” divers, add this feature via advanced setting. In the spirit of Scubaboard safety standards, perhaps a diver will have to input their C2/T2 certs to allow this to happen.
If you want GF, you are required to enter technical mode. I think the thinking behind that is that if you know enough about GF to properly select it rather than the Low/Med/High conservation settings, then you are most likely a technical diver who is pushing beyond rec limits (which is where the selection of GF really becomes important).

I think for MOD, the thinking is that no recreational certificates AFAIK are valid at 50m+ so therefore anyone doing dives at that level will be treating these as technical dives and as such programming their computer accordingly.

If you want GF, you are required to enter technical mode. I think the thinking behind that is that if you know enough about GF to properly select it rather than the Low/Med/High conservation settings, then you are most likely a technical diver who is pushing beyond rec limits (which is where the selection of GF really becomes important).

I think for MOD, the thinking is that no recreational certificates AFAIK are valid at 50m+ so therefore anyone doing dives at that level will be treating these as technical dives and as such programming their computer accordingly.

I understand the your thoughts regarding MODand agree to a certain extent. Still, I look at this a bit differently. I will leave agency guidelines our out of our discussion. Most other computers give the user the correct MOD depending on inputting setting setting, regardless of mode. Shearwater made the correct decision for not locking out the computer with a dec violation. Similarly, as a dive computer for “divers”, users should know the actual MOD. On an aside, I prefer the rec diving mode for all of my dives. I just like the interface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom