Question regarding tank fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would be wrong.

I very well could be wrong. I often am. I am just asking for a good reference that states that it is OK to overfill steel 3AA and not to overfill 3AL. The only links provided so far have been anecdotal evidence.

If you aren’t a fan of overfilling, than don’t have your tanks overfilled.

As I said, "I am not in favor of significantly overfilling any tank; but, why aren't 3AL tanks as tolerant of overfilling as 3AA tanks?"

I very well could be wrong. I often am. I am just asking for a good reference that states that it is OK to overfill steel 3AA and not to overfill 3AL. The only links provided so far have been anecdotal evidence.

You won't find it. No manufacturer is going to say that. You need to do the research and reach a conclusion that works for you. Every manufacturer will tell you NOT to overfill their cylinders. Period.

As I said, "I am not in favor of significantly overfilling any tank; but, why aren't 3AL tanks as tolerant of overfilling as 3AA tanks?"

Neither am I. I only overfill my AL tanks by maybe 5% and my steels by 10%.

Again, aluminum and steel have different characteristics. I'm not a metallurgical engineer. I've simply reached a conclusion based upon reading over the years. I can't point you to one source that will answer all of your questions.

The over filling of steel tanks probably originated with the steel LP tanks getting a plus designation. Tanks with the plus could get an extra 10% fill. Once it was no longer had the plus it would be filled to its standard fill pressure. AL tank never had those designation. Combined with the material being more brittle and having a service life that is much shorter than a steel tank and more susceptible to damage and cracking, it is not as attractive to over fill AL cylinders.

Hydro testing is a test in a controlled environment where they are looking to see if the tank still meets structural specifications for the safe transport of the full cylinders. The tank in mostly filled with incompressible water and they are not dragging it around a dive site or leaving it in the back of a hot car. A catastrophic failure during a hydro is unlikely to kill the tester.

Is the aluminum that much thicker on a Al100? That is filled to 3300psi to get to 100cu ft. Theoretically anyway. I won't request those in the Caribbean because they are seldom if ever filled to proper working pressure and their buoyancy sucks.

Hydraulic (water filled) testing is often done at about 1.5 times normal working pressure, so a 230 bar / 3300 psi tank would probably be tested at around 4800 psi.. I UK and at foreign dive centres I use cylinder are always well above 3000 psi. I would complain if they were less than 220 bar / 3200 PSI, as they are selling you short and reducing your dive time.

1) Aluminum scuba tanks, according to the US DOT have a service life of 20 years
News to me. Please cite a source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom