Question: What's an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackdav

Reaction score
I understand from reading that it involves two second stage regulators coming off of the same first stage..... but what IS the octopus? Is it an attachment to the first stage which manifolds out to both regulators, pressure gage, and inflator? Is it the second second stage regulator? What does an octopus look like?

Thanks,
Jack

Jack,

I am going to take a big risk here and tell what I think the "octopus" is.

But, you know, I looked in my PADI books, my reg manuals, etc. and cannot actually find a reference that uses that word! My assumption is that my dive instructor was correct when he told me it was the FIRST STAGE REGULATOR AND ALL THE HOSES THAT COME OFF OF IT. And that is logical, so, I have never questioned it.

But I once had a boss who told me that, "Assumption is the mother of all f--- up." So, if I am wrong, I am sure some thoughtful person out there will correct me.

Joewr

Thanks, Joewr.... at least now I know that the question wasn't TOTALLY stupid.

Cheers,
Jack

Joewr, Looks like your boss had just got done watching Apocalypse Now It's a great line.

jackdav, First of all let me say that there are no stupid questions. We are all here to learn.

For all intents and purposes the octopus is the secondary regulator that is intended as a back-up regulator for either yourself(unlikely) or for your dive buddy(more likely). It comes off of the First stage that's attached to your cylinder valve. It will usually be a slightly longer hose than your primary regulator and it will be clearly marked (either yellow or orange or red) it's mostly intended to be donated to another diver in need. The standard location an octopus is secured to a diver is in the Golden Triangle which is located between your chin and the lower corner of your rib cage. This will make it easier for both divers to locate and access the regulator in an out of air or low on air situation. This way you can both continue to breathe normally while making a safe ascent to the surface.

Not to confuse the issue but there is also a configuration that includes an integrated octo which means the safe second is located on the divers left side integrated into his/her inflator mechanism. There are inherant benefits to both configurations that makes sence and is important for all divers to learn both methods so that they know what to do when/if they come across a distressed diver in the water. In the integrated configuration, donating the octo is different in that the diver donates his/her primary reg ie the one they are currently breathing off of to the diver in need and locates & accesses the integrated unit on the left hand side and then they proceed with the clam ascent to the surface.

My configuration is the integrated set-up when I'm diving for fun, and both traditional and integrated when I'm teaching. I teach my students both methods.

Hope it's a little clearer for you now.

Mario the Mad,

One is never too old to relearn! Thanks...I always knew you were a thoughtful person!

Joewr

Rather than Apacolypse Now, I was thinking of answering, "Take an 8-legged marine celapod and place it over your face like they did in the movie "Alien..."", but I see you have the answer already covered....

Howdy!

Well, I am back from a wonderful afternoon with my darling granddaughter and absolutely buoyed by the experience. So, I will stick my head in the noose one more time and procede with a question for you scuba mavens out there.

I tend to rely on logic and I am guessing that my dive instructor, a wonderful teacher and person, probably told me exactly what Mario the Maddening so eloquently stated above. However, I probably looked at him holding all the strange appearing gear and said to myself, "Self, the octopus is the gadget with all the arms," and I was happy (as in fat, dumb and....). Because, LOGICALLY speaking, something with 4 appendages looks more like an octopus (the animal) than something with only one appendage.

Sooooo--winding up for the high, hard one--why the hell is the alternate air device called the "octopus"? I have looked in every scuba book that I own, Websters, Roget's, and Martha Stewart's Seafood for Singles. And I just cannot find an explanation.

(Now I have placed a bet with myself as to WHO will answer this question correctly. If I win, I will award that person a bottle of good California Cabernet. You will have to trust me, though, because I am revealing to no one who that person is. Again, this bottle does not go to any person with the correct answer--only to the "horse" I have my money on.)

Granpa Joewr

Hmmm....I have wondered that myself. And, since I have no idea as to the REAL reason, I will share my reasoning (yes..it is one of those questions that kept me awake at night!)

Best reason I came up with: From what I have heard, the "loaner" second stage was the last "necessity" to be added to the regulator setup. You had the primary, inflator hose, and HP hose before. Which kind of made things lopsided. Adding the "octopus" made the reg setup LOOK more like an octopus.

Now..while in the water (this is where you have to bare with me!) a diver now has 2 hoses looping off of each side of his first stage, PLUS 2 limbs on each side..so the diver looks like an octopus too! (NO..I haven't been drinking!) So, the second second stage because known as the octopus (cause "second second stage" is just too hard to say!)

Ok Mario...tell us the REAL reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom