Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I ran across this on Craigslist and thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts about it?

Compressor

I do not know the first thing about compressors, but would not mind picking one up for what appears to be a decent deal...

Should I snatch it up, or Run away?

Please share your thoughts...

Phil

depends on the price. as almost everything, you should consider current condition, package components (filter, bottles, etc), amount of air you require (also desired / necessary fill speed), availability of parts for the unit & your degree of technical expertise.
There's a group on yahoo called "compressors" I believe - quite a few experts in there but to be honest I don't see how one could tell you if it's a go or a no go just by looking at some pictures; you would however get a realistic estimate on life expectation of such a unit under normal usage, known issues, etc...
I personally would test it for "blowby", see the maintenance history, have a look at that air certification, etc.
Ultimately it's up to you, but, if you are not a fanatic, an explorer or a "dive for a living" case than I don't think you will save anything by investing in a compressor - most of those who own one do so for convenience reasons (I need 32 tomorrow and it's 8pm already; the diveshop is closed for this holiday, I would like ../.. hypoxic and the closest shop that has it is 45 min away, etc).

At $1500 it looks like a pretty good gamble .. provided you have the electric power to run it. Call and make sure that it is single phase and not 3 phase as most homes can't get three phase. But for the filter system and bottles included and it appears that it was tested last month so I would at least go and take a look. Of course, I'd take a truch with me ... just in case!:D

From looking at the compressor pictures, it is not a 3 phase motor because it has two sets of capacitors on the top of the motor could be a 7.5 hp motor - only a guess.
The yahoo group is call Compressor_team. and we specialize in military compressor refurb and rebuilding -- DIY
Filters and extras shown are worth $1500
Frogman 62
Jim Shelden
<sheldensportinggoods.com>

Do keep in mind that if you buy such a big old, compressor that it is going to be not your tool or your servant but your new hobby. That is to say, as an aquisition it will be more like buying a running but unrestored '52 DeSoto than a three-year-old Toyota. The big filters are nice, but they are going to cost a lot to fill. Do you need that much air? Are you the kind of person who takes pleasure in large, heavy, machines?

Oh and I think I would want to know what it is before I bid on it, odd the description doesn't say. There are some old compressors for which parts are not available anymore.

Kind of looks like an Ingersol Rand 233 but it also could be a Worthington. Years ago McWorther Engineering in Birmingham, ALA put together units like that for scuba and scba. I think most parts for the I-R 233 are available but Worthington less so.

I swapped emails with the owner a couple of times. I must say that I truely do not have the best feeling about it because he did not seem to know a thing about it. Here are the Questions and answers I got.

1. how old is it? old but in very good condition

2. What Brand is it? ingersol

3. What is the maint schedule? every year

4. I would use this for SCUBA does it only have a SCBA fill whip? not sure what this is

5. What size are the storage bottles? 2200 psi

6. What is the CFM rating of the compressor? 3000 psi

I then responded saying that I wanted to know how many cubic feet the storage bottles hold and how many cubic feet per min the compressor is capable of? And in the add it says that the storage bottles are 4200 psi. I also asked about the motor, if it is 3 phase or not.

7. Is the motor 3 phase? It is 220

8. What is the CFM rating of the compressor? 398

I did not hear back about the storage bottles though. He just does not seem to have an idea of what he has. Maybe he is just a newer volunteer FF that voulnterred to try and sell it for the department. I am going to ask him the model of it and maybe you guys can shed some light on it a bit for me...

Thanks again for all the help...

Phil

I worked for a diveshop almost 20 years ago that had an old compressor that looked a lot like the one you have pictured. If memory serves theirs was a 1960's vintage Navy Surplus compressor built by Ingersol Rand. It was even painted that same battleship gray color, as I recall the thing was rather large and loud for the number of CFM's it produced, not sure of max pressure as that shop filled straight from the compressor with no air bank.

Ike

Ike

I asked the guy for some pics of the compressor and the bottles since the info he emailed to me was so sketchy. He said he was going to take some pics but I have not heard back from him. I think that I will shoot him another email...

Phil

Back
Top Bottom