question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrismac

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone
yesterday when I went to work i only did 4 tanks of air
i was working in a depth of only 20 feet (Canadian lingo),and I wasdoing alot of up and down between 20' and 10'
everything was fine other than being tired from the salt in the water which for some reason always makes me tired even when I don't jump in.
Anyway i have a second job which i had to go to after diving and i started feeling thease symtoms
Tired feeling,
Itching,
Pain in my arms, legs
and I was caughing alot last night aswell
any suggestions on what may cause this?

Can I get mild bends in 20 feet of water?
:confused:

Doc- Please correct me if I'm wrong- 20 feet is about 6-7 meters. I belive that in this depth it is practically impossible to get DCS, simpley becouse the differential (1.6-1.7) is not enough, unless you spent there a REALLY long time (at least 12 hours), and got sturated in the slowest tissues, and than acording to newer tables it is possible. Though statistically it is next to imposible. I belive you cought a cold or such. I think that for normal dives (up to 4-5 hours long) a differential of 1.7 is safe enough. I also don't belive that coughing is a simptom of DCS.

Than again- you'd better wait and see what the doc says. I'm just a smart ass.

Dear chrismac:

It is not really possible to get DCS when exposed at 20 feet for the duration that you indicated. Studies in underwater habitats have indicated that exposures of 20 fsw for several days can result in some DCS incidents, however.

Eckenhoff, R.G.; S.F. Osbome; J.W. Parker; and K.R. Bondi (1989). Direct ascent from shallow air saturation exposures. Undersea Biomed. Res., 13, 305.

Eckenhoff RG; Olstad CS; Carrod G (1990). Human dose-response relationship for decompression and endogenous bubble formation. J Appl Physiol; 69(3):914-8

Whatever made you tired, it was not “the bends.”

Dr Deco
:doctor:

Isn't coughing a sign of DCS (the Chokes)? Other than that I don't think that you could rule out any sort of overexpansion injury.

Definately check with DAN.

brandon

Well I was working In about 20 feet,alot of up and down
i work with shelfish
and there was a harvesting ban on thats been lifted wednessday evening, it was due to too much acids in the plankton ?
I don't know if that made me sick or not because suposely it was harmful to humans?
but i'm ok now
the bans been lifted.

I also didn't think you could get the bends in 20 feet i just wanted to double check with the doc.

Thanks all.

Chris.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom