Questions about choosing a Raja Ampat liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t hear too much about diving in PNG...why? Hard to get to? Under the radar?
PNG is much easier to get to than either Komodo or RA from Australia IMO... can be done in one day (well... so long as all connections work OK)
I can leave Melbourne on the 06:00am flight to Brisbane (BNE) arriving 08:10am
BNE to Port Moresby (POM) 09:25am arrving 12:35pm
POM 15:20 to Hoskins (HKN) 16:25pm
Collect bags and meet transport
Having a pre-dinner beer at the resort <6pm :cheers:

PNG is much easier to get to than either Komodo or RA from Australia IMO... can be done in one day (well... so long as all connections work OK)

Thanks for the info. Now you are the PNG SME :D

Thanks for the info. Now you are the PNG SME :D
Hah... I am far from an expert but will write up a detailed report on my Febrina voyage to Rabaul, hopefully be of some help to others pondering a PNG trip!

Hah... I am far from an expert but will write up a detailed report on my Febrina voyage to Rabaul, hopefully be of some help to others pondering a PNG trip!

Thanks in advance...Looking forward to your trip report. :)

Depends on where you want to go in PNG and where in Australia you originate from. It's quicker and far cheaper for me to go to RA from Perth.

I have a massive continent between me and PNG so add another day.

PNG is not tourist ready so anyone thinking RA is "remote" and "third world" is in for a big shock. I'm not the person to ask about PNG - I've only done it from private boats.

Weather changed our plans a couple of weeks ago so instead of starting from Moresby we met the boat at Alotoa and hit up the Conflict Islands for a few days and got our minds blown and blown away in winds and currents....and then we went to Komodo for a few days and it was like going from a library to wallmart.

RA sadly in my opinion while still epic diving has way way too many boats and land ops already. Komodo even worse.

I hope PNG stays wild.

Umm...Have you transited in BNE before? Curious. I have done it a lot. That's only a 75 minute connection from domestic to international (the terminals are miles apart). During rush hour. You're kidding yourself :)

RA sadly in my opinion while still epic diving has way way too many boats and land ops already. Komodo even worse.
I hope PNG stays wild.

Yes my experience in Labuan Bajo (LBJ) as firstly a land based and then on a LOB very much tipped me back to PNG.
LBJ harbour was packed with LOB's of varying size and quality and the town itself was over-stocked with dive shops and teeming with divers coming and going.

Very much a 'Wild West' place vs PNG which felt truly remote... like diving at the ends of the earth in a pristine UW environment.

Umm...Have you transited in BNE before? Curious. I have done it a lot. That's only a 75 minute connection from domestic to international (the terminals are miles apart). During rush hour. You're kidding yourself :)
Yep, exactly the same flight and connection from MEL... maybe I got lucky :D

I'd hate to step foot on land in Komodo now..looked crowded from a distance :D

Back
Top Bottom