Questions about my first boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this practice limited to American men? It seems men all over the world would want to keep the boys cool.

:happywave: Guilty
You are correct, and I read online that Spain just passed a law against Manspreading on crowded subway cars.

@Marie13, have fun this weekend!

No fun this weekend. :( All my shop's trips on Lake Michigan got blown out this weekend. :( Majorly bummed. :( Now I get to do Deep tomorrow in the nasty dark hole at the quarry instead of on a nice shipwreck on the Lake. :(

Will try and get on the Lake in the next couple of weeks, just to get some boat diving experience before my Lake Huron trip in late July (that is coming up FAST!).

Now, once you get to the dive spot and the boat is in position what normally happens once you have your gear on? Stand in line to get in? raise your hand? Take a number?.

What I do is make sure I know which DM I'm supposed to be diving with and learn to recognize his/her fins etc. More than once I've jumped in with the wrong group. When I see people jumping in the water I jump in too. Occasionally I'll lose track of which group I'm with underwater so it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on the DM (if there is one). So far I've always managed to get back on the right boat.

Bungee diver? Do not be one!

It is very common on boats for a bungee cord to be used to secure the tank. You need to remember 2 things:
- remove the bungee before you put your reg on the tank.
- hook the bungee back onto your reg to keep your tank from falling on the floor and smashing someone's foot.

Bungee divers never drown. They do not get much bottom time...

Where in the Gulf are you going to be diving? I have dived off boats in the Gulf a few times. I have mainly gone out of the PCB area and most of the boats in that area are bigger "cattle" boats. On these boats you pick a spot and put your gear together. Once all your gear is together get your wetsuit on up to your waist. At this point get anything that is not going in the water with you picked up and put away. On the way out you will end up chatting with the DM/Instructor/Captain a few times. They like to chat with people and they like tips. Once you reach the site the DM/Instructor/Captain will do a bounce dive to hook into the wreck and while he/she does this you go ahead and get your suit on the rest of the way. DM/Instructor/Captain will get back on the boat and start the briefing with conditions first and then the expectations of the boat. When the briefing is done you will sit back in your spot and get all your gear on and checked with your buddy. Air on, regs breath, air in BCD, computer on and mix correct, everything securely attached as it should be. Then walk over to DM/Instructor/Captain that is at the launch side of the boat, hand him/her your fins and then lift a foot backwards. DM/Instructor/Captain installs first fin and slaps bottom of your foot, you raise other foot back and the process is repeated. At this point you are ready to splash, you are given the go ahead and you splash, give the OK potato on your head signal and move on so the next one can come on in.

Couple things, first, this has been my experience with charters out of PCB and they have been great experiences, not ALL boats will do that exact process but the majority should be close. Secondly, you saw how I would say DM/Instructor/Captain. I did that because the charters I have been on the members of the crew had numerous positions regardless of what they actually did on the boat. One trip, the boat had two Captains and three instructors on, there was not a single DM working on that boat. One of the captains was actually the bounce diver that tied us into the wreck and the usual DM position helping with fins and getting people off the side was an instructor. So do not assume what someone is based off of what they are doing and be respectful to all.

In closing, relax and enjoy yourself. A good crew will naturally put you at ease and have you a boat diving pro in no time.

I was thinking about that, once i set my gear i dont want anybody touching it, very good point about watching your guage with a couple of deep breaths.
Always do your own essentials check - for the things you really really need to be OK

You really want to breathe
* Breath both regs 3x times while watching the needle (partially opened or opened then re-closed tank will be detected)
You really want to float/control the float
* Make sure gas goes into your BCD (connect hoses as needed)
* Make sure air comes out from your BCD
drysuit:
* Make sure gas goes into your suit, inflation is noticable (connect hoses and shut zipper as needed)
* Make sure air comes out from your suit

Other checks, that light works, SMB is in pocket, weight belt is on, etc. are an excellent idea, but less crital than breathing and floating.
Always always always check that you can breath and float.
BTW I nearly ruined a $300 cable light's battery by not having the light properly attached. If I'd just checked that my light worked, as I usually do, this never would have happened.

On a boat, be mindful of how easy it is to fall, esp. with fins on. It's not just your balance, watch for people falling on you, and stuff falling at all times. Just as on dry land/pools, never walk with fins more than absolutely necessary.
Watch that tank: as you walk by with gear on, sitting persons have their heads exactly at the height of your tank bottom.
Do not stand around/linger at the top or bottom of any ladders or stairs. Esp. at the top of the stairs where people are trying to climb onto the boat.
After the briefing, take out your compass and connect what you heard with what you see in the real world. Wouldn't be the 1st time I've stood bewildered at the side of a boat trying to make things fit and someone turned me around 180 degrees and said "our reef is over there".
The boat ladder may try to kill you at any time. Always expect this no matter how nicely the ladder has behaved in the recent past. It may also try to kill you by throwing divers at you, so stay safely back until it's your turn (and yours alone) on the ladder.
Keep your mask on and reg in until you are on the boat. Falling back in is no sweat if you are already prepared to be underwater again.
Remember to communicate with the folks on the boat. Confirm that you are OK when you go in and immediately confirm that (if) you are OK any time you surface.

Last edited:
oh, and *if you are standing* **hold on to the boat at all times**. as my daddy always said, 'one hand for the boat, one hand for your work.'

One thing I didn't read here (could have missed it) is: when you are getting ready to climb the ladder back into the boat and are removing your fins and handing them to a crew member (or tossing them into the boat) make VERY certain that you have a really good grip on the ladder. If you were to drift away from the boat without your flippers you might find yourself hoping for someone to toss you a line and life ring.

Look carefully to make sure everyone in the water is clear before you stride off the boat. You don't want to be the person who got someone else hurt.

-And make sure you yourself get out of the danger zone if more people are jumping right behind you.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom