Questions on using two YS-01's with DX 1G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonpa10den

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hopefully Sea & Sea and others can help me with these questions I have to set my strobes up optimally.

[1]The strobe manual says set the camera to "forced-flash" mode but the DX1 manual makes no reference to forced-flash. Is this the "flash on" setting on the camera?

[2]Can the camera flash be set to "Soft Flash" and still trigger the strobes? I ask this because I have read that the onboard flash produces so much light it creates backscatter. Also, the camera manual suggests using soft flash for macro so I'd like to be able to do this and just have diffused strobes from the side for macro shots.

[3]Related to the camera flash creating backscatter. I have read that painting the "fiber optic cable adapter" black can help this (or covering with duct tape). Is this recommended?

[4]Also related to issues from the camera flash. Can I use the "built-in flashlight diffuser and still get the strobes to fire using the fibre optic cables?

[5]Does the DX-1G have a pre-flash? Is so, does that mean I should set the YS-01 mode switch to the setting with two "flash signs" (one in white and one in black)

[6]Should I connect both fiber optic cables to the adapter on the front of the camera housing or should I connect one to the camera and connect the second strobe to the first one?

[7]Does the DX-1G support TTL? I don't really understand what TTL is and so if the camera can support it which is the better way to operate the strobes. What, if any, advantages are there with TTL?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me set this gear up to function correctly.

John

HI, please see our comments in red below.

Hopefully Sea & Sea and others can help me with these questions I have to set my strobes up optimally.

[1]The strobe manual says set the camera to "forced-flash" mode but the DX1 manual makes no reference to forced-flash. Is this the "flash on" setting on the camera?
The forced flash mode is the lighting bolt icon, this will fire the camera's internal flash every time an image is taken - thus triggering the strobes.

[2]Can the camera flash be set to "Soft Flash" and still trigger the strobes? I ask this because I have read that the onboard flash produces so much light it creates backscatter. Also, the camera manual suggests using soft flash for macro so I'd like to be able to do this and just have diffused strobes from the side for macro shots.
We do not recommend using reduced flash settings - the camera's internal flash will not offer enough light for proper exposures, that is why the external strobes are used. You will adjust the position and settings of the strobes for proper lighting.

[3]Related to the camera flash creating backscatter. I have read that painting the "fiber optic cable adapter" black can help this (or covering with duct tape). Is this recommended?
The DX-1G housing has a built-in diffuser and also is smoke in color - you do not need to "paint" or block the on-board flash.

[4]Also related to issues from the camera flash. Can I use the "built-in flashlight diffuser and still get the strobes to fire using the fibre optic cables?
See above - yes, you can experiment with the diffuser or without.

[5]Does the DX-1G have a pre-flash? Is so, does that mean I should set the YS-01 mode switch to the setting with two "flash signs" (one in white and one in black)
Yes, the DX-1G has pre-flash and the YS-01 strobes (as per the user manual) would need to be set in preflash cancellation mode (the first power setting with double lighting bolt icons.

[6]Should I connect both fiber optic cables to the adapter on the front of the camera housing or should I connect one to the camera and connect the second strobe to the first one?
Connect both cables to the fron of the housing using the FOC adapter included with the housing packaging.

[7]Does the DX-1G support TTL? I don't really understand what TTL is and so if the camera can support it which is the better way to operate the strobes. What, if any, advantages are there with TTL?
You can research TTL HERE. Basically, the camera meters the proper amount of flash (light) that the image requires based on what it is reading from the subject and surroundings, an auto flash mode in some respect. The YS-01 strobe is designed to copy this information from a digital camera and give the proper amount of exposure. The YS-01 user manual outlines proper settings if you prefer to use DS-TTL mode. the fiber optic cables are required to help with consistent results.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me set this gear up to function correctly.
There are numerous online sources for methods and techniques, som listed HERE. Enjoy and keep shooting!

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom