Questions regarding eSCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leifb78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,
I have been looking into rebreather since the Dreager Dolphin became available, but have never pulled the trigger du to many circumstances.
I am currently looking into rebreathers again, and have some questions.
I want to use a rebreather strictly in the recreational envelope (max 40 m depth, No decompression). I am not interested in tech diving at the current time.
One of the rebreathers that I have looked into is the Hollis Explorer. This unit does look like it is perfect for my needs, however I am led to belive it is no longer in production. I have found units on ebay so it is available, but I am unsure about long term support and service.
My searching for other escr rebreathers has not really turned up much. I am aware of the KISS Gem but it is a scr and not exactly what I am looking for.
If I wanted a SCR I could also get a Dolphin and PO2 sensor for a fraction of the cost of the Gem and spend the remainder on dive travel and training.
For my needs the Hollis seems to provide the perfect mix of features, but are there others?
I am prepared to travel for training so that is not a big issue.

Looks forward to hearing some tips,

thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Your title says ECCR but you are asking about ESCR, is that a typo or are you looking for options either way?

The Hollis Explorer has been discontinued, and support from the manufacturer is no more. KISS has released a retrofit kit that will allow you to turn it into a CCR.

The original product wasn't great. It had buggy hardware, and never really got off the ground in appreciable numbers. You would do well to avoid it unless you want to either risk having a very expensive paperweight, or want to convert it to a CCR. The stormtrooper backpack look was flashy, but it's onboard gas volume was too small to dive without offboard bailout, which sort of defeats the purpose of a unit like that.

Basically, it was all of the shortcomings of an SCR with none of the simplicity, and all of the shortcomings of an eCCR, with none of the advantages of diving an actual eCCR.

If you want a gas extender (all an SCR really is) you're looking at either picking up an old Dräger unit, a PSCR a la RB80 (style), or one of the KISS units.

I want to use a rebreather strictly in the recreational envelope (max 40 m depth, No decompression). I am not interested in tech diving at the current time.

I would still pick any of the well known eCCRs. They give you all the benefits of rebreather diving and are still relatively simple to operate in your 40m range. ECCR benefits include also long NDL times... JJ-CCR is a simple unit and easy to operate. JJ should also have great support in your area.

sorry about the typo RainPilot, yes I meant to write eSCR in the title.
JohnnyC I have not found many report of problems with the Explorer, could you possibly provide some links? more information is always useful.
Taimen you are correct that the JJ has great support in my area, but for the type of diving I want to do with a rebreather a eCCR is hugely overkill. The JJ is also eyewateringly expensive here in Norway.
Am I correct in assuming Hollis made the only eSCR available then?
A second hand Dolphin is an option though...

If you decide you do want an Explorer, the shop I teach for (link in my signature) has a stock of brand new units they want to get rid of. I think they've been offering them for around USD$2000. Maybe even a little less. Just FYI.

Personally, I would rather spend a little more and get a pure manual CCR. I have a friend over here that, last I checked, had a manual rEvo he was offering for less than USD$3K. I just did my first CCR training last week, which involved a lot of flying the unit manually. I found it to be MUCH easier than I was expecting. Of course, a bit more than that for an eCCR is that actual choice I made, but I understand that's not for everyone. However, solid, used units are way less money than a brand new one....

Buy a cheap Optima. If/when you want tech, it'll be there.

If you decide you do want an Explorer, the shop I teach for (link in my signature) has a stock of brand new units they want to get rid of. I think they've been offering them for around USD$2000. Maybe even a little less. Just FYI.

Personally, I would rather spend a little more and get a pure manual CCR. I have a friend over here that, last I checked, had a manual rEvo he was offering for less than USD$3K. I just did my first CCR training last week, which involved a lot of flying the unit manually. I found it to be MUCH easier than I was expecting. Of course, a bit more than that for an eCCR is that actual choice I made, but I understand that's not for everyone. However, solid, used units are way less money than a brand new one....

Let me know when they're $500 and i'll buy one.

Am I correct in assuming Hollis made the only eSCR available then?
A second hand Dolphin is an option though...

The only "eSCR" ever made was the Hollis and it was a commercial & design disaster and discontinued. If you want to get one to play with go ahead but its no longer supported and has very little resale value.

A second hand dolphin is an option but so is a second hand JJ, revo, megalodon, kiss, sf2, etc.

Hi guys,
I have been looking into rebreather since the Dreager Dolphin became available, but have never pulled the trigger du to many circumstances.
I am currently looking into rebreathers again, and have some questions.
One of the rebreathers that I have looked into is the Hollis Explorer. This unit does look like it is perfect for my needs, however I am led to belive it is no longer in production. I have found units on ebay so it is available, but I am unsure about long term support and service.
My searching for other escr rebreathers has not really turned up much. I am aware of the KISS Gem but it is a scr and not exactly what I am looking for.
If I wanted a SCR I could also get a Dolphin and PO2 sensor for a fraction of the cost of the Gem and spend the remainder on dive travel and training.
For my needs the Hollis seems to provide the perfect mix of features, but are there others?
I am prepared to travel for training so that is not a big issue.

Looks forward to hearing some tips,

thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Leif...

As far as ESCR...although the Drager Ray...and Drager Atlantis/Dolphin/FGT-5400 are for all intents and purposes ''manual''...other than ensuring correct ''leak free'' assembly and strict adherence to pre-dive ''checklist procedures''...all you have to monitor with the Drager units is your PPO2...they all work off a mass flow orifice...use NITROX...in percentages from 60% down to 32%...and function extremely well in ''recreational'' depth ranges as you require...

''New old stock'' Drager Ray units...still in factory wrapping show up occasionally...and brand new Drager FGT-5400 and Drager FGT-5400 Bypass units are available new through European based sources...I purchased my 5400 in Genoa in 2017...my Ray remains ''new/unused''...

The Drager units are ''rock solid'' and will function flawlessly...indefinitely...if properly cared for...

W S Water Safety in Berlin is still a reliable parts source...although stock is diminishing...

The Hollis Explorer was ''abandoned'' with no further support following Hollis selling out to Huish...personally...I would recommend staying away from anything ''Hollis''...as well as all the other brands taken over by Huish...

I have seen/read/or heard nothing from Mike at KISS as far as manufacturing a ''kit'' to keep Explorer units functioning...I can't see why they would...''Rebreathers'' are not exactly a bristling business...I'd be surprised if KISS would involve themselves with someone elses ''failed'' product...if they did there were lots of rebreathers that have come and gone that were far superior to the Explorer if they wanted to pick up someone elses ''dropped ball''

I would also suggest sourcing a ''used rebreather''...regardless of brand or system...from places other than ''E-Bay''...
You may get lucky and get a ''good...unmolested'' rebreather...or you may end up with a ''ringer''...that is non-returnable...and non-refundable...

Do your research...read all the literature...ask all the questions...buy to suit your needs...take advantage of any ''try-dives'' offered...and buy carefully...

So many rebreathers that show up ''used'' in grey markets...are there because the original buyer either decided ''too late'' that rebreather diving was not for them...or they bought the wrong unit to begin with...

Hope this helps you on your journey...

Best...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom