Questions regarding eSCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only done 12 dives on my CCR, so far. But, the last one I did was on a shallow wreck.

I noticed a HUGE difference from past experience. There were balls of fish hanging out in different spots on the wreck. They let me swim right up to them until my mask was about to enter the bounds of the ball itself. I would get WELL within arms reach and they didn't move at all until/unless I actually reached out as if to touch one. Then they would slowly move away to keep from being touched.

It was such a different experience for me that I have remarked on it to several different friends and family since that dive.

I am chomping it at the bit to get the time in and build my skills on the CCR so that I can start getting in again with my camera.

Thanks!

I gotta say, that is the ONE frequently mentioned benefit of rebreathers that I just haven't seen yet. I also do wildlife photography (not professionally), and I don't notice that much difference. I figure that fish have evolved to be wary of predators larger than them, and the vast majority of those predators don't blow bubbles.

Maybe it's just me, perhaps I should stop continually hitting my Dive Alert during the dive? :D
I didn't notice a "difference" either until I was decoing out at 20ft from a 200ft dive with an OC buddy. There was a baby seal laying on a rock underwater. He (she) was quite curious about me and we were practically nose to nose (within 50cm). As soon as my OC buddy, with the camera, moved to get closer? Nopes not into that bubble stuff. OC buddy backs up again and here's mister baby seal back in my face eye-to-eye. I was a believer after that.

Yeah, those shallow open ocean deco stops are cool when you're on the loop.

Yeah, those shallow open ocean deco stops are cool when you're on the loop.

And if the line is crowded, you can hang back and deco almost as efficiently as you would at the next stop.

Hey Doc...

If the new Mares Horizon functions better than this at 40 meters...I'd love to be close to the front of the line to try it...

This is a 2017 FGT-5400...with some of the trimmings removed...

Screen shots from videos taken at Tobermory on the Arabia...this past September...wonderful little machine...

Screenshot (16).png
Screenshot (12).png

Hey, this isn't a facetious or trolling question, I'm seriously interested. There seems to be a lot of SCR experience in this thread. What would you guys say is the major draw of SCR over OC?
pSCR guy here:

The gas lasts way longer :)

Back
Top Bottom