Quick and easy trip out to Stingray City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sludge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I've searched the board and Googled this, but I can't find what I need to know.

I'm going on a honeymoon cruise (Carnival) in November, and we'll be in Georgetown, Grand Cayman from 8am until 3pm on my birthday - the 18th. Stingray City has been on my bucket list for years, and since I'm not doing much Caribbean diving any more, this may be my last chance.

I want to be able to walk up to an operation with my gear in my hand and have them take me out to Stingray City to scuba dive (NOT snorkel) for half an hour to an hour and then bring me back to shore. All the stuff I'm Googling is all about doing a two-tank, with a reef and then Stingray City - an all-day affair. Or they want to take you out to a sandbar.

Is there an operation that will do what I need? I kind of want to avoid going through Carnival because you never know what you'll get with these third-party excursions, or how much they'll overcharge you. Has anybody done this and would recommend an operation?

Russell

"a sandbar" is Sandbar - the snorkel only site where the cruise tours go. You don't want that - it's 4' deep.

Carnival's Cayman Dive operator is Don Foster's. I'm pretty sure they dive SRC in the afternoons only. Don Foster's Dive Grand Cayman

All the CITA operators are listed down the right side of this webpage. Maybe you can find someone diving there late morning. Most are Seven Mile Beach based so you'd have to cab over to meet them - probably at their boat on the North Sound as that's where they all leave from.

Check with Lobster Pot - IDK if they do it. They're one of few other options you can walk to from the cruise port. Cruise Ship Visitors to Grand Cayman | Scuba Diving in Grand Cayman from Lobster Pot Dive Center This may be the only other one - I don't know anything about them: http://www.cruisediver.net/

The whole process takes several hours, it's a 6mi. boat ride out, there's the shuttle to the North Sound dock plus the dive is 45mins. long. So unless you find someone going out there mid-morning, that 3PM departure time is going to be impossible. You also need to allow for tender time both ways - there's no cruise dock on Grand Cayman.

I don't know who is following this thread, but here is my report:

I ended up going with Cayman Turtle Divers. They picked Lynn and me up across the street from the dock. There were two crew and four customers on a center console. We went to Stringray City where another customer and I spent half an hour on the bottom with one crew member and a bunch of stingrays. Then we went to Stingray Sandbar.

"a sandbar" is Sandbar - the snorkel only site where the cruise tours go. You don't want that - it's 4' deep.

Not to disagree with you, but the sandbar was GREAT. I enjoyed it a lot, and Lynn was squealing like a little girl the whole time. It was like being mauled by puppies.

The cost was $80 for me and $50 for Lynn. Worth every penny. I wholeheartedly recommend Cayman Turtle Divers!

I'm glad you had a great time. How was the rest of the honeymoon? Btw, I might be moving your way! Hubby is interviewing at UNC-Pembroke!
I might finally get to see cave country!

Stingray City is a series of shallow sandbars found in the North Sound of Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. It is known as one of the best place for diving in blue water. I love that place.

Take the jetski tour! I think the name was Fatfish adventures. You get to see the mangroves, Stingray city, snorkle at Rumpoint, and visit Starfish point. Pretty sure they will pick you up from the cruise terminal too. I did the tour last May with my wife-we got our own skis and had a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom