Quick Disconnect Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently dive with a Cressi Giotto and an SPG.

When I did a liveaboard, I dove with two Cressi Giotto's for redundancy.

I've noticed that some people do SPG, dive computer, and dive computer with air integration for full redundancy.

I have a Sherwood Vision on order for full redundancy. It's not going to be as elegant as having a dive computer with a transmitter, as I will likely have the Vision replace where my current SPG is connected. The Vision will be on my left side and the SPG will need to be relocated over onto the right, to use the other HP port on the first stage.

Given how much gear gets tossed around when in dive bags, should I /only/ be connecting the Vision to the first stage when my gear is all setup and then disconnecting it at the end of the dive day, before putting the gear into a dive bag? How much do I need to baby the Vision? It doesn't have the thick rubber bumpers of most analog gauges.

Also, does the quick disconnect hose self-seal, i.e. if there's no computer attached, the reg can still be used to dive with?

I dive with one Suunto Cobra, at my left side, and one Suunto D6i AI wrist computer.

I usually clip of the cobra to my back plates lower left corner, and only use it if i need, it is there only for backup reasons.

I pack it together with my regulator (and torch and camera) in a regulator bag between days, and carry that one apart from the rest of the gear. But i don't feel that the DC is much more brittle than the second stages, so I would not have any problems to have it in the big gear bag, protected by the wet suite. I would not just throw it on the bottom of the gear bag and then throw my BP on top.

To start with i did not have QR but this summer i changed hose to one QR from a broken cobra, After changing out the spool O-ring it have worked well, lo leakage for the 30 dives i have had after i changed the O-ring.

Removing the female QD connector requires a special tool. May not be able to swap the hose protector(s) too, for that “finished” look.

Oh... that's disappointing. Hopefully the QD cable that comes with it will be roughly the same length as what I have now with the SPG.

Okay, I think that is a legit thought. My bad for my tunnel vision. I sometimes forget about sport diving in favor of thinking about things in tech diving terms. On a tech dive, if one computer died (e.g. your Vision), the dive would be over anyway, so the redundant SPG would serve no purpose. But, you make a valid point. On a sport (aka NDL aka recreational*) dive, if you have 2 computers and one dies, you don't automatically have to thumb the dive.

That said, even on a sport dive, I still would not take a redundant SPG in the water. I wouldn't do it with a primary pressure gauge being a physical SPG (and I've never seen anyone else diving 2 physical SPGs). And I definitely wouldn't bother with a physical SPG as an installed backup when I was using AI for my primary cylinder pressure gauge. But, this does seem like a somewhat legit consideration in favor of using hoseless AI over a hose-connected console. With hoseless, I can have 2 computers both reading the same transmitter, so if 1 computer dies, I still have my other computer AND can still see my cylinder pressure. With a hose-connected AI computer, if that computer dies, there is no other means to see the cylinder pressure (other than, as you say, another device, like an SPG, connected).

Also, one would hope that on a hose-connected AI console computer failures would be rare enough that the risk would not really merit installing a backup SPG just for the benefit of possibly saving one dive from having to be thumbed early. In my mind, you'd be trading off the insurance against ending a dive early because the computer died against the chance that the SPG has an issue and you have to end a dive early because of that. Sort of you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

*I'm trying to avoid use of the term "recreational" because, in fact, tech dives are also recreational dives. But, there's no denying most people use the term "recreational dive" to mean a sport dive, aka a "no stop" or "no decompression" dive.

Thanks for the detailed thoughts and analysis. It does sound like AI consoles are pretty reliable, so I'll just carry the analog SPG as an available backup, to save a trip, not just one dive. I do agree that adding more redundancy does have its limits, where the redundancy adds to more points of failure, rather than making things more safe.

I will add one interesting thought, based on what I found a permanent buddy couple doing.

They both have hoseless AI computers, and then they also both added a "button" SPG to their 1st stages - so in the event they have an AI problem their buddy can still see the (approximate) tank pressure.

I don't know what their plan is if something actually fails; whether they would keep diving or not.

I received the Vision yesterday but haven't had the time to check it out. In the box, besides the Vision with QD HP hose already attached, there's a custom USB cable (three prong to USB-A) and manual. I noticed from watching review videos of the Aeris A300 AI and Subgear XP-Air that they come with a padded sleeve. Am I missing this or does Sherwood's version not include one? I ask because the box wasn't sealed (though everything does look new).

I see no indication in my Sherwood catalog that they include a soft cover, which is consistent with their other computers, too. Covers are listed separately.

@JackD342 Do you know if the "hatch key" is included? Sherwood mentions it on their website, as coming with the manual, but I only got a CD.

I can't say with certainty one way or the other, but I would definitely expect it to be included. I couldn't find mention of the hatch key on the Sherwood site - where did you see it? Also not mentioned in my 2018 dealer catalog. Looks like the item is discontinued for 2019. Same key is used for some of the wrist units, and some Aqualung and Oceanic items.

Where did you order it from, and was it new, reconditioned, or used? Maybe some of the box contents went astray. You should definitely reach out to them to get you the key. I don't find a Sherwood part # for it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. They aren't great at providing a 100% comprehensive parts list. I know I can order the key from Aqualung if needed.

My current "recreational" configuration is a PPS transmitter on a 4-inch hose, on the left side of the first stage (as seen by the diver) and a button SPG on the first stage's right side, with two wrist computers -- one on each wrist -- reading the transmitter output. The reason for the button SPG is so tank pressure can be checked after a LOB-fill without firing up the computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom